Chapter 8- Save yourself

Chapter 8- Save Yourself

Mayview General Hospital. 7:05 AM.

            I woke up to the hushed murmurs of James and a police officer. I had fallen asleep on Matt’s lap and was still slightly groggy. Matt had a protective arm draped around me.

            “We found red rose petals at the scene of the crime,” the police officer, who was holding his navy hat in his hands, said solemnly.

            James crossed his arms over his chest. “Red rose petals,” he slowly repeated. He scrunched his eyebrows together in frustrated confusion and ran a hand through his hair. “Why red rose petals?”

            “We’re not sure yet, but we’ll let you know as soon as we have a lead,” the police officer replied, nervously twisting his hat in his hand. He looked pretty young. It was probably his first time being the bearer of such bad news.

            James kept a hard face and nodded him off, but as soon as the police officer was gone, James buried his face in his hands like he was about to cry. I heard a few sniffles before I gently lifted Matt’s arm off me and quietly crept towards James, so that I could hug him.  

                “Naomi?” he asked gently.

               I nodded into his shoulder and he buried his face in mine, but did not cry. He smelled minty; with a hint of coffee which he drank every morning.

            We stayed like that for a few seconds, before I cautiously asked, “Any news?”

            “Just that there were flower petals at the crime scene,” he mumbled. “I just- I wish I had been there to protect her, you know?” he murmured into my shoulder.

            I nuzzled my head into his chest. “It’s not your fault.”

            He rested his head on mine and gave me a small squeeze before pulling away.

            “I’ve missed this,” he said, giving me a small sad smile.

            Since he had started university this year, I hadn’t seen him as much. He, Matt and I used to hang out all the time. He was actually really cool to hang out with. I even liked Amber, who I went on the occasional shopping trips with.

            “What? I don’t get invited to the hug?” Matt asked, pulling us both into a group hug, in which I was basically sandwiched.

            “As much as I love hugging you guys, I love breathing more!” I wheezed.

            Both brothers pulled away and instinctively ran their hands through their hair. “Sorry,” they laughingly replied simultaneously.

            Suddenly, there was a rush of doctors heading to Amber’s room. We still hadn’t been allowed to see her yet. James ran to the door, through which a nurse with long black hair had just come out of. She locked her grey eyes on me as she passed by.

            “I’m sorry sir. You can’t enter the room at this moment,” a stressed looking nurse said, blocking James’ path.

            “I need to see her!” James exclaimed, trying to gain access to the room. He was freaking out.

            “It’s Becky! Becky McCarter! She’s here!” we heard Amber frantically screaming. We heard a struggle before Amber was subdued.

            “I’m sorry, you have to leave now,” the nurse, politely, but firmly informed us.

            “Please,” James pleaded. “At least let me know if she’s gonna be OK.”

            I had a flashback to Hazel being in the hospital and the frustration I had felt when the doctors wouldn’t let me see her. Hazel. It seemed like so long ago that we were best friends.

            “Please,” James repeated.

            The nurse gave him a sympathetic look. “Sir. I’m sorry, but we are and will continue to do all we can for her,” she reassured him.

            “Come on, man,” Matt said, putting his arm around his brother. “Let’s go home.”

            I could sense that they needed some bro time and that James needed a break from this. “I’ll stay here,” I told them. “I’ll call if anything happens.” I gave Matt a kiss before he left with James.

4 hours later

             I was sitting in waiting area when the nurse approached me. “Are you Naomi Respero?” she asked.

            “Yes, that’s me,” I replied, putting down the paper cup of water I had been holding and getting up.

            “Amber has been asking for you,” she explained, leading me to Amber’s room.

            Me? Wouldn’t she ask for James? I wondered. “Thank you,” I smiled walking into the dull hospital room. Amber was sitting up, staring blankly at the small TV overhead. She had bandages around her head and visible scratches on her face and arms. Her face held absolutely no emotion.

            “Hi Amber,” I whispered, afraid of startling her.

            She didn’t move. “Naomi?” she asked.

            “Yes, I’m right here.”

            She turned to face me. The emptiness that consumed her once friendly green eyes was scary. “Becky McCarter did this to me. She’s back. And she’s angry... Mirror, mirror on the wall. For who was this a very close call? For Amber. For Amber. And you’re next,” she was silent for a while. “She told me to tell you that. She’s not messing around. Save yourself Naomi. She’s… crazy!  She- she tried to kill me!”

            At this point, the ECG started going haywire as Amber’s heartbeat increased with her growing panic.

            “She’s going to kill us! She told me she spared my life! Save yourself Naomi! She’s always in disguise! Save yourself!” she screamed as the doctors and nurses rushed in and ushered me out.

            “Ma’am, I’m going to have to ask you to leave,” the nurse that had told me that Amber wanted to see me said.

            “Save yourself Naomi!” Amber shrieked.