Jonah Clarke Is Surprised

Start from the beginning

Isaac doesn't reply, he just smiles smugly.

"Like seriously Zach, you have no idea how much I wanted this."

Daniel stares down at the copy of Sims 4 and feels like crying. He doesn't though; he doesn't need to give Jonah more reasons to stop being friends with him.

"I had an idea," Isaac says, "I mean you've only gone on about how amazing it looks since it came out. I actually thought you were going to explode if someone didn't get you it."

Daniel rolls his eyes although he knows that what Isaac is saying is probably true.

"Shut up," he mutters under his breath.

"Sorry what was that?"

"Thank you Isaac," Daniel says louder this time.

"You're welcome."

Daniel is beginning to tidy away all the stuff on his desk when a tin and then another present is placed in front of him. Daniel looks up to see Jonah staring at him with a sheepish expression on his face. When Jonah notices Daniel looking at him, the expression quickly disappears.

"I told you not to spend anything on me," Daniel says.

"I didn't," Jonah replies, "the present cost me nothing, just a bit of time and effort."

Out of the corner of his eye Daniel can see Isaac raising his eyebrows suggestively and Daniel's cheeks heat as he remembers yesterday's conversation.

"Promise?" he says.

"Promise."

Daniel opens the tin first and looks up at Jonah with a grin on his face.

"You made me a cake."

"Well technically Ruth made the cake," Jonah admits, "I just decorated it and supervised the baking part."

"Oh," Daniel says, "and uhm, what the picture supposed to be?"

"Well it's supposed to be a dragon," Jonah tells Daniel, rubbing the back of his neck as his cheeks flush, "but uhm, there's a reason I'm not doing Art for A-Level."

"It's great," Daniel enthuses.

"No it's not," Jonah sighs, "but is should taste good at least."

"And that's the important part," Daniel assures him.

"Shut up and open your present."

"Be patient," Daniel warns Jonah, "I've gotta open the card first anyway."

Daniel sees Jonah roll his eyes as he opens the envelope but he ignores him and looks at the card in disbelief.

"'Happy Tenth Birthday!'" Daniel reads.

He lets out a small giggle and finds that Jonah is chuckling too.

"The woman in the card shop got a bit confused and so I just went along with it."

"Now open the present," Jonah urges.

Daniel carefully unwraps this present too, again placing the paper neatly beside him so as not to make a mess.

When he finally opens it up all he can see is a CD case, and then he flips it over.

Playlist For Daniel (alternatively titled 'A Load Of Fucking Great Music That Are Daniel in Song Form')

Daniel stares up at Jonah, not entirely sure what to say.

"I know it's kinda lame," Jonah tells him, "but it was the only thing I could think to do."