Chapter Fourteen: Consequence of Actions

"It is good to see that you have returned safely." Bathory said as she moved from her bath and to her robe which was being held up by two servants. The blood lingered upon her body as she came near him. "Have you taken any more consideration with our potential arrangement?"

"I.... If you wish, we can leave and you will not have to worry of protecting anybody but yourself."

"You do not seem to understand...I chose you and that rarely happens. You should be bowing at my feet. Besides, it is an idiotic motion to decline my offer because at this very moment, I should be holding your head in my hand."

"What for?"

"Ficzko..." He handed her a letter before she cleared her throat. "Dearest friend, I write you not to worry you but inform you. Our residency here has become more full of fear that accomplishment and I worry for Annabelle's life. The woman who we were sold to shows signs of great mental distress and sickness. I fear for what she may do to Annabelle. If you receive this in due time, I beg that you tell an authority. A judge, a royal, anybody who will listen. They whisper of her in town and I fear the legends may be true. Love with great hope, Hansefer." She gave Hans a look of great amusement before burning the letter before him. "I am sure you are wondering how I obtained it...you see...any person, no matter how loyal they appear, always have their own hearts and desires...Anybody can be payed for anything..."

Elizabeth moved closer to him before running her hand down his chest. "I do not care whoever has taken you to bed before. I do not care if you are married or love another. If you value your life or Annabelle's...you will accept my offer without any hesitation..."

"I planned to anyway your majesty. I just wanted to be sure it is what you truly wanted... Truth is, Annabelle is best used as your servant and she values her job quite well. She tells me quite often how she admires this place as her home."

"I am glad she is finding it at ease. As for you...Every night if not more than twice a day, you will come to my chambers and not ask for anything. Not to protect Annabelle, not to leave. You will be mine."

"And what of your husband?"

"I explained to you...my husband and I do not have a romantic bond."

"And yet you want to remain beautiful for him."

"Darling, it is not for him. Why should a woman lose her beauty because God is cruel? Making us age?"

Before he could contradict her statement, she shot at him once more. "Enough questions and comments. Tonight you do not have to come to me. Tomorrow you shall..."

The moment he left her chambers, Ficzko followed him out.

"It is nice to see fate has plans for you."

"At least I am desirable." Hans teased as he walked away.

"Just remember I took her virtue!" Hans bit his tongue before continuing to walk away. Moving down the corridors quickly, he sprinted to her room. His hand gently knocked on her door before she opened it. Giving him a sweet smile, he took her into his arms before kissing her as if he never would be able to again. He slammed the door shut with his foot before bringing her to the wall. He turned her and kissed the back of her neck as he tore the strings from her dress and she turned. Placing her hands upon his chest, she saw how tears were building in his eyes.

"What is it?"

He fell to his knees before her and held onto her. Sobbing into her dress, she took his face in her hands before going to her knees as well.

"Are you alright?"

"I remember everything. The cut on my side...It was from her...Bathory. She cut me when I denied her. I don't know how I did not remember...a lucky portion of time on her side perhaps..."

"We must leave then. Being here is not safe...."

"We have nowhere to go. If you return home...Ficzko will make sure he brings your head to Bathory before the week is up...I cannot lose you..."

"What are we to do?"

"I fear there is nothing you can do...I am doing all I can..."

"What does that mean?"

He brought her to her feet as he placed her face between his hands.

"You have now agreed various times that you trust me...Does that still linger?" She nodded. "Elizabeth wishes for me to come to her bed each night..."

Annabelle turned before tears began to fill her eyes. "That is why you wanted to be with me tonight...to be with me first...before her..."

"I did not want my first intimate time to be with someone I loathed..."

"Your...You are virtuous? How is that possible?"

"When the moment arose, it never felt right. With you, it does and I was a fool at the cabin before."

"You were correct for not allowing it to be there. Listen to me..." She placed her hand upon his heart. "I cannot tell you how many times you have saved me. Not just physically...It is my turn to save you..." She moved to the small window by stepping on the barrel before handing him the box Philippe had given her in the village. "You were there when he told me how to use it...do not let it go to waste..."

"I cannot kill anybody..."

"Blind her...you do not have to kill her. You will be in close proximity every night...this way you will not have to be with her..."

"I cannot...."

"I can." She moved towards the door before she was pulled back into him.

"I told you to trust me and I need that more than ever."

"You will be with her...she will call out your name and I'll be forced to hear it...I cannot handle such a thing..."

"That is why I ask you do something for me..."

"Anything..."

"Each night, after your working is complete, go to the garden and find the flowers that you admire the most. Linger with them and think loving thoughts of me. Place the petals against your cheek as if it was my hand and kiss them. Embrace their aroma and think of nothing else but that." His glare lingered as she looked away from him. "I can promise you, I am imagining it to be you."

"Just promise me one thing more than anything else..."

He nodded.

"Never say you love her."

"Of course..." He placed his lips softly upon hers. "You are the one who has my heart Annabelle. You always have..."