How We Smoothed Things Over...

Start from the beginning

I was wearing a simple metallic dress that stopped mid thigh with some short black heels while Ari had on a nice pink summer dress with the same color wedges. Ari had her hair up while mine was down. We went easy on the make-up and only really had on eyeliner and lip gloss. We packed swimsuits and extra clothes because we didn't really know what to expect. I decided to leave the bag in my car and Ari and I got out and made our way to the door.

"You know, there's a high chance Dylan's here right?" Ari stopped me before I opened the door.

"I know. I'm here because my friends invited me," I replied and opened the door, "Don't let Dylan ruin the party!"

"Oh the irony," Ari sighed and followed behind me. We were immediately ambushed by the twins.

"Oh our babies are here!" Theo exclaimed and they both crushed us into hugs.

"Just to clarify, Dylan's parents aren't going to be here, right?" I asked worried.

"Nah, they're busy thankfully," Theo told me and I relaxed, "Now come on, let's go meet the 'rents."

"Mom, dad!" Thai hollered at a couple who then approached us.

Their father was practically an older version of them and their mother stood beautiful in a simple dress with her hair down. None of them were lucky enough to inherit her beautiful hazel eyes but at least they got her smooth, tanned skin tone. They made my parents look so plain and boring.

"This is Ariana and Skylar, our friends from school," Theo introduced and they smiled politely and shook our hands.

"Great to meet you," his father spoke for both himself and his wife.

"The pleasure is ours really Mr. and Mrs. Barousse," I told them and Ari nodded agreeing.

"I actually thought I would be getting a girlfriend introduction for both of you," their mother laughed, "Oh, the day that happens!"

"I know right," Ari joined in on her laughter.

"Unfortunately, both girls are taken, one of them by Dylan," Thai said to his mother.

"Dylan has a girlfriend? Which one of you?" she seemed excited.

"That would be me," I forced a smile, not really wanting to talk about Dylan.

"Well, I can see Dylan is smart. I don't know what to say about the both of you. Anyways, carry on and enjoy yourselves. It was nice meeting you both, Ariana and Skylar," Mr. Barousse placed his hand on his wife's waist.

"Bye ladies!" his wife exclaimed.

"Bye! It was nice meeting you too," Ari and I called over the music as they disappeared.

Theo and Thai carried us around to the back where the pool was. I immediately spotted Dylan sitting and talking to the twins. His eyes met mine briefly before I turned away. I heard Dana and Daniel call my name and I turned around to see them running towards me. They wrapped their hands around me barely reaching my waist.

"Hey guys. How are you?" I giggled and ran my hands through their hair.

"We missed you!" Daniel spoke first.

"I missed you both too," I pinched their cheeks.

"Why are you here with Theo and Thai and not Dylan?" Dana asked.

"Theo and Thai are my friends and we're hanging out and besides, I just got here," I replied and they nodded.

I looked up then and saw Dylan making his way over to me. My eyes grew wide with fear and I took a step back. He wrapped his hands around my waist and pulled me firm against his chest. I tried to push him away from me but he held me tightly to him and eventually I gave up and looked away from him.

"Skye, I need you to listen to me," he pleaded.

"I don't want to hear what you have to say," I sighed.

"I'm sorry," he apologized and I felt the tears run down then. I buried my face in his chest trying to hide from everyone the fact that I was crying. I felt my tears seep through his shirt and by the way he tensed, I know he felt it too.

"You kissed her right in front of me...and it just...it hurt so much," I cried.

"I know and I only did it to hurt you because I was hurt that I wanted to run to you and I couldn't and that Jace got to do what I wanted. I was intoxicated and it was stupid and I'm so sorry," he sounded so broken and I pulled away to look at him. He placed his hands on my face and wiped my tears.

"It's okay. I'm sorry Dylan. I'm really trying to find a way," I told him and he nodded understandingly. He kissed me lightly before pulling away.

"I think you butt dialed me during the week," he added lightly, "You called but no one answered me when I spoke so I hung up."

"I guess my phone likes you just as much as I do then," I joked and we both erupted into laughter.

And all was good in the world again.