Chapter 39 - The Choice

"Only time will tell us, Victoria," says Eric as he scribbles on his notebook. "His first 24 hours was a miracle. Although right now, his condition is stabilized but I cannot guarantee you an improved prognosis. Hunter suffered severe injuries. The surgery did so little. He's as good as brain dead. One thing's for sure, it will not be long until..."

"Enough, Eric..." interferes Victoria whose eyes are already swollen.

"It is better for you to be prepared. Have you told Angel of the possibilities?"

Sucking a deep sigh, then she replies, "She knows. And I'm quite surprised she's taking it rather calmly."

"You will have to look after her, Victoria. Especially now that she's having a baby."

"I know..." answers Victoria. "How's Damien?"

"Not very good. His condition is worse than Hunter, I must say. I don't think he'd survive another shock. His heart is already showing signs of deterioration. We failed to save it. He might go first unless..."

Color leaves Victoria face as she falls to her seat.

"I think you know why this talk is happening, Victoria."

She nods.

"Even though Hunter is stable, there's no assurance he'd survive either."

"You don't have to keep reminding me, Eric."

Eric rises to his feet and reaches for an envelope under a pile of papers on his table, and hands it over to Victoria. "This was from seven years ago. Hunter signed it after recovering from the gun shot—that Delaware accident."

With shaking fingers, she flips through the pages. "He's told me about this, but I did not think he'd be serious."

"He's very specific of what he wants, Victoria. I wonder how he had known of this thing happening, that he already prepared for it."

"I agree..." Her eyes following every legally binding statement in the paper. "It's very him—this whole thing. Can I do something to contest this?"

Eric shakes his head. "It's Hunter's advance directive. You have no power to change it."

"I know he'd do this for his brother," whispers Victoria, strength leaving her veins.

***

Her fingers stroke his, feeling every inch of cold there is. He breathes heavily, and as every air that leaves the device in his mouth, a tug to her chest pushes the tears out of her eyes.

To see him like this...

She calls for his name, hoping that he would take heed of her plea. And even if her cry would mean weakness, as others would discourage her to do so, she just cannot help it. She's tired of everyone telling her of what Hunter wants, that the latter would definitely be happy not to see her cry, to see her moving forward and to let go of what is hurting her. But if what is hurting her is something she could not let go, then it's not possible. Definitely not possible.

But it seems that everyone disapproves of what she wants.

Everyone says she has to stop. Hoping would be fruitless.

Keeping him like this makes no difference. Better give Hunter the peace he needs, said Eric last night.

It has been a day and a half since the police brought Hunter to the hospital. Reports say he was already dead when they found him. But miracle happened after they defibrillated him on the spot, and he took his first breath of life after a brief episode of death. It was a strange phenomenon but it makes sense to Angel.