XXV. Grey Matter of The Brain

Who betrayed Harry?

And who caught him

-

~ Meanwhile in London ~

Every step I took left a resonant strain in my body as I dragged along the injured foot I limped on. A shooting pain in my leg didn't compare to the ache in my chest with every intake of the sight I feared was lying beyond the misty cloud of grey smoke.

What was I doing here; back in the underground when I promised him I'd never go back. I just had to see it myself; see if the rumors were true. Louis hasn't got the slightest idea that I was here. He warned me to leave it well enough alone, only I could not bear not knowing anymore.

Everyone nowadays are keeping to themselves. Not even Jace has bothered to give us the light of day, not after Harry left. We severed contact from him after graduation; he didn't seem to want anything to do with us. I speak for the lads and I, but I feel Louis knows more that I and the other's do.

If Harry has been in contact, it'd only be through Louis. Everything changed when Harry left. For the most part the frat, if you could even call it that anymore, was bravely still being run by Jace as far I knew. He really stepped up to the plate in the last year or so, apparently nailing connections with groups likewise over seas who were interested in a treaty. It all seemed nonnegotiable; just promise of money, drugs and plenty of sex. Only, his leadership paled in comparison to Harry's and it's become noticed by the other members as well, much to Jace's distaste– he couldn't escape Harry's legacy, which was practically embedded in stone.

Harry solidified our name in the ranks with his 'stunt'. Apparently collateral damage is an appraisable theme in the underground. They found Harry's sacrifice as they liked to call it, admirable.

Jace was nothing short of furious; clearly his plan back fired. Harry quit nonetheless, escaped the situation before the real ugliness of it all emerged. I'd say it was the smartest move on his behalf, especially in the position they could have put him in.

The Underground were nasty people, run by someone by the name 'R'. I didn't know much, but I knew something wasn't right when Louis became paranoid and insisted the lads and I all steer far from this group. His only explanation didn't reveal much about the Underground except that they were dangerous people– he must have forgotten we were once lead by one of the fiercest men to ever serve as The King.

I took his warning into careful consideration when I decided to see what was so terrible about The Underground. They literally resided in an underground, described as a cartel that dealt with the same illegal nonsense we do only they were worked mostly as "supply and demand'– the mitochondria of us all, the frats of England.

I didn't expect to see him, though. I couldn't make out exactly who it was, but it had to be him. I wonder if Louis knows he's here too. Perhaps Louis even sent him, or like me he came on his own out of curiosity.

He carried a paper-sized envelope with him. It was thick, possibly important as well judging by the way he held it; fingers firmly gripping it as he walked quickly.

What is in that envelope and why is he here?

I hid in the shadows, trying my best not to be hear or seen. Impossibly so, the tunnel he was walking through was a tight fit with jarring concrete and metal beams erecting from the ground. At last the murky air cleared, a bright light now replacing the faint darkness I was in as I arrived at an opening.

Voices, many of them, growing louder as he entered first. I hid behind a piece of concrete, watching them all speak to him. A handshake here, a hug there; he was no stranger.