XV. Beneath The Sheets Of Paper

Fabio Curls.

-

~ Ariana ~

"She's showing immense improvement in all areas, doctor. She's by far our most successful specimen thus far."

Specimen, I rolled my eyes at the unnecessary title. My name is Ariana, but to these Ivy League doctors I'm nothing but a specimen.

"If you look here, these lines represent the brain development of all five specimens. The pink one, is her." The doctor glanced above the sheet of paper and sneered. He continued, "She's not just a pretty face after all."

Michael gripped the paper unnecessarily tight, wrinkling its edges as he grimaced. "This is excellent data Doctor Castillo, thank you. I will personally ensure it is delivered to Doctor Stevens' office." He said, "You and your colleagues may be dismissed."

As Doctor Castillo and his colleagues left the room, Michael turned to me with an evident scowl residing in his features. "Don't mind him. It's only prissy, over privileged children whose parents pay for their entire tuition, who end up becoming doctors like him."

I couldn't help but laugh at his annoyance. The doctor was being unprofessional with his last comment and I felt slightly victimized when he undermined my intelligence. If only I was some big-earning doctor too, I could annihilate his ass with the facts, only I wasn't so I was in no position to clapback an Ivy league doctor.

"He kept calling me a specimen." I pouted, "I've heard old bullies call me cuter names than that."

He chuckled, "Don't worry love, the only specimen he should be studying is his microscopic dick."

"You're so mean, I like this side of you." I sniggered, "What happened to don't mind him. It's only prissy, over privileged children whose parents pay for their entire tuition, who end up becoming doctors like him." I raised an eyebrow at him, questionably.

"Yeah that and they need to compensate for their small genitalia." He quipped as I burst out laughing.

"Okay, okay wait," I wiped the tears that formed in my eyes, "So for real, jokes aside, I'm improving?"

He nodded, "Yeah, take a look for yourself." He said as he handed me the manila folder.

I carefully read its contents, a small smiling forming on my lips as the word excellent kept appearing. In all areas each representing a separate session, there were graphs illustrating my progress alongside the other patients in the program.

"What's this?" I furrowed my eyebrows as I pulled out a hoard of wrinkled papers. I looked up at Michael as I held them out. His eyes crinkled as he let out a small chuckle. "Oh those, yeah those are the notes Grace and Harry made."

I looked at the pile with sudden interest. I felt short of being eager to see what Harry had to say about me. I glanced back at Michael, my eyes pending a response from his own. He gave me a slight nod and grasped the manila folder, allowing me to hold the mountain of papers.

I skimmed through Grace's notes fairly quickly, taking note of some improvements that would need to be made. A few of her critique was mentally demoralizing, like my daydreaming, but she knew what she was doing and if I wanted to improve even further then I would have to meet these expectations.

At last I reached Harry's notes, which were at first glance just smudged ink on the yellow-tinted paper. I squinted, looking closer at the remnants of the black ink and realized they were doodles.

"It may seem scarce but he acquired a sum of sufficient data." Michael spoke up as I stared at the paper covered in doodles. "There's more on the back." He added, and he wasn't wrong.