Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

This is not a drill. I am actually updating.

    I watched the clock on my dashboard tick over to 3:30P.M. as Louis fidgeted with his tie in the passenger seat. We were currently at a stop light which was about to turn green at any moment, but I couldn't bring myself to look anywhere but the clock on the dashboard.

"Victoria," Louis' voice brought my eyes up to look at the light that had switched over to green. I released my foot from the break pedal and I stepped on the gas before someone behind me could honk their horn at me. After I held the elevator door for Louis, we decided to take a drive to his place to talk about everything that had happened to us in the past five years. I'm assuming that also included talking about what went down and the reasoning behind my disappearance. I wasn't ready for that at all.

"Sorry." I mumbled, tightening my grip on the steering wheel.

"Not a problem." Louis said, extending his arm out and around the driver's seat so that it was resting behind my head. "Turn right at the next stop light."

As we approached the next traffic signal, I flicked on my right blinker and sighed. I wasn't prepared to indulge in Louis' posh lifestyle that I assume he was living. I was still the normal girl - er, woman - that I was five years ago. Louis instructed me on where to go the rest of the way. To my surprise, this only took about twenty minutes for us to arrive in front of a large apartment complex that was outlined in a bright white stone. Many windows made up the exterior of the building, along with some architectural designs that I was impressed by. I pulled into the parking garage, where Louis flashed his driver's license and they okay'd him to proceed. Louis directed me to his favorite spot, next to his Porsche, and I skillfully pulled into the parking space.

Killing the engine, I looked over at Louis who had no emotion on his face. "Nice place." I commented.

He smiled half-heartedly, "These are the things only money can buy." He reached for the handle on the door and pushed it open, stepping out of my too-small Beetle.

I grabbed my purse that was sitting on the counsel and fumbled to get the keys out of the ignition. After two failed attempts, I was finally able to maneuver them out and to exit the car myself. I slammed the car door and pressed the lock button twice, wincing at the loud honk that the Beetle made as it confirmed it was safe and secure.

"I'm surprised that this parking garage isn't lined with carpet." The sound of my heels on the cement echoed through the spacious garage.

"For seven thousand pounds a month it should be." Louis mumbled, and reached out his hand behind him and wiggled his fingers, inviting my hand to join his. Hesitantly I placed my hand inside of his and immediately he curled his fingers against mine, intertwining our hands.

"You pay seven thousand pounds a month for this place?" I shook my head at the thought of handing over seven thousand pounds of my hard-earned money just to live in this apartment that I didn't even own.

"Just see the inside," Louis smiled and winked at me, "You'll love the inside." We walked through the main entrance where I was greeted with a chandelier that was probably bigger than my rusted Beetle parked in the garage. I gazed up and watched the little crystals twinkle with the light that reflected off of them. A middle-aged lady at a desk near the entrance looked up from her laptop and smiled at Louis.

"Good afternoon Mr. Tomlinson. Is this a special someone?" She pushed up her glasses excitedly and clapped her hands, "Oh! I've been waiting for the day Mr. Tomlinson brings home a lovely young lady." She stood up from her position at the desk and walked around to greet us.