Chapter 5

"Lady Meyneth?" I heard a familiar voice say.

I smiled, my eyes still closed. "Vanea. How long has it been since the battle ended?"

"A little more than one thousand years. You have much to catch up on."

I moved my soul out of the statue and reentered my body. "Yes. Please tell me." I frowned as I realized Egil was not with her. The two were not only siblings, but also best friends. "Egil?"

Vanea seemed uneasy at the mention of his name. "Egil never forgave the Bionis for what it did. He is the self-proclaimed leader of Mechonis, and is responsible for destroying most of the Homs colonies."

"What?" Egil was not the kind of person to harm others on purpose.

"Come. It's better to see with your own eyes." She brought me to the transporter that led away from the statue. Once back in the city, we crossed through the Shrine and gazed out over the fence overlooking Agniratha.

Everything was in ruin. Fossilized Telethia were scattered about the streets, where Mechon seemed to be patrolling, which they never did. "Is Egil controlling them?"

Vanea nodded. "He uses them in assaults against Bionis. They're not peaceful workers anymore. But look." She pointed at a tower on the edge of the city. Guarding the entrance was a type of Mechon I had never seen before. It was much larger than the rest and had arms, legs, a face, and carried a weapon.

"What is it?" I asked.

"A Faced Mechon, or Face. They were once Homs. Egil placed the bodies of those he captured and killed inside Mechon bodies. The ones that patrol Agniratha are just the mass-produced ones. A select few look unique and are higher up in the ranks," Vanea explained. "They are Metal Face, Mysterious Face, Jade Face, and Yaldabaoth, also known as Gold Face. He is my brother..."

I sighed. This was never what I would have wanted. "And what of the Machina?"

"Most of the Machina did not survive. The ones who did established a village on the Fallen Arm, the Mechonis' left arm which was cut off during the battle. I, however, chose to live with Egil here in the city. I try to persuade him to stop what he's doing, but my brother is far too stubborn."

I paused to take it all in. Vanea came by my side to comfort me. "This is a dangerous time. Both of our worlds are at war. But we know who the heir to the Monado is."

"Really?" I knew then that it was time for Zanza's reawakening.

"Yes. I do not know his name, but he wields the Monado in battle."

I looked her in the eyes. "Do you know why I awoke now, of all times?" Her expression told me she had no idea. "It is because Zanza is going to reawaken soon. The only problem is that I'm still not fully recovered. I am much stronger, yes, but I cannot possibly take him on again like this and hope to win."

Vanea thought for a moment. "I could turn you into a Faced Mechon. If you lived in the body of another, then you would have greater strength."

"I do not wish to be like Zanza," But after thinking for a bit, I realized she was right. "Very well. I must fulfill my duty."

Vanea bowed her head. "I'll get started right away."