Chapter 3

I grinned, almost ear to ear, as I gazed out on what Mechonis had become. It seemed like yesterday I had entered this world, but in reality, it was eons.

Centered in the titan's head was the Imperial Capitol of Mechonis, Agniratha. My children, the Machina people, built it and grew into a great civilization. They built robot-like creatures which they named Mechon to act as pets and to help them in their daily lives. I congratulate the Machina on their creations to this day, for I likely would have thought of it!

At the back of the head, behind the city, stood an enormous statue and shrine dedicated to me. I don't know why, but I was worshipped by the Machina, who referred to me as Lady Meyneth. They asked me for guidance and help when they needed it, and I tried my best to answer their cries.

The four peoples of Bionis were the same way. The Homs, Nopon, High Entia and Giants worshipped Zanza in a similar fashion, but they were not nearly as dedicated to their titan as the Machina were to me. All five races, me and Zanza all were friends at peace, and we occasionally visited each other's homes.

Life was good.

One day, however, that was all about to change.

I stood upon a high pedestal near the shrine, looking out over Agniratha. Everything functioned as usual. A figure walking past caught me out of the corner of my eye.

"Egil," I called.

He jogged up to the pedestal and got down on one knee. "Lady Meyneth. What is it?"

"I just wanted to make sure you were okay. It's a long trip to the Bionis' Shoulder."

Egil made trips to the shoulder of the Bionis every few months or so to visit his friend Arglas, a Giant. I often worried for him, sometimes more than his father Miqol, the Machina chief.

"Egil!" Vanea, his sister, ran up and threw her arms around him. "How was your trip?" Before she could ask any more questions, she bowed down at the sight of me. "Lady Meyneth! How rude of me!"

I chuckled. "It's okay, Vanea. Really."

She smiled weakly and brushed herself off to hide her embarrassment.

After that, all I heard were screams and a very loud crashing sound. The ground rocked beneath me, almost knocking me over.

"What's happening?" Vanea was on the ground, toppled over, peering over her shoulder at the startled Machina.

I focused my energy and levitated high above the pedestal and gazed out the window. My eyes widened and my heart sank at the sight. "Zanza...
how could you?"

The Bionis had taken its sword, the Monado, and plunged it straight through the Mechonis' left shoulder. I focused my attention back on Agniratha, which was in complete chaos. People were screaming, gathering personal items and family members, trying to evacuate. Even worse, I realized that many of Machina people had fallen down from the city, into the ocean below.

A few seconds later, I noticed that hoards of flying beasts had broken through the windows and had begun to attack. I recognized them as Telethia, Zanza's equivalent to Mechon.

Zanza! Why are you doing this?  I cried silently.

"Egil! Vanea!" I called to my friends. "Direct the surviving Machina to Mechonis Field! It will be a long walk, but they will be safest there."

"But Lady Meyneth!" Egil stepped forward. "What of you?"

I stared vacantly ahead. "I will confront Zanza."

Egil was going to argue, but he knew better. "Good luck," was all he said before he and his sister hurried towards the city. Once they were gone, I knew my children would be safe, and I headed away to the Mechonis Core.