Chapter 1: Lieutenant

One year later

I walked down the hallway of Carmichael agency, the cover job me and my team adopted when we formed, and I wondered why the director of The Shadow Unit wanted me. Colonel James Ryan has been the Director of The Shadow Unit since it formed ten years ago, in 2005. Colonel called me this morning telling me to report to him at 2100 sharp.

When I got to my office it was 2050 so I was right on time. When I entered my office I noticed there were two people, the Director was staring out a window behind my desk and there was a girl around my age sitting in one of the two plush arm chairs in front of my desk.

"Ah Mr.Carmichael, what a pleasure it is to see you again, please sit down" Colonel said curtly, taking notice of me.

"Trust me the pleasure is all mine, if it's all the same to you would rather stand" I said, taking care not to offend Colonel. Unlike most high ranking officers Colonel makes a huge effort to polite while talking to his subordinates.

"That would be quite alright Mr. Carmichael," Colonel replied, " Now before I forget this here is Lieutenant Sarah Kerns, Sarah this is Captain Samuel Carmichael."

"Lieutenant" I said, giving her a nod.

"Captain Carmichael" she said nodding back.

"Now that you both have been introduced, let's get down to business" Colonel said as a more serious tone entered his voice, "Captain, I would like you to train Lieutenant Kerns here so that she may join your team"

"My team sir?" I said a little confused. This was the first time that a soldier had gone from the selection program straight to my team. Most soldiers have to work their way up from Shadow Team Four which, even though it's a shadow team, was nowhere as good as  my team. There were times where people went from selection to Team 3 and rarely to Team 2, but never to my team.

"Yes Captain, your team. Her scores from selection are as good as, if not better than Lieutenant Matthew Ehlers." Colonel said handing me Sarah's papers.

"Well Matt's not gonna be very happy to learn he was beat, especially by a girl," I said before I remembered that she was sitting right next to me.

"No offense," I added maybe a little too late.

"None taken" She said. She was obviously offended, but she would have no say in the matter. I almost felt bad, but then again she did beat Matt's score in selection, so I don't think that my empathy would matter to her. Not that I had any to give.

"All right then. You two are dismissed." Colonel said bringing my attention back to him.

"Yes sir" I said throwing a quick salute. Sarah did the same and we turned and left together.

Outside my office I quickly told Sarah to meet me outside the training room at 0500 hours and said goodbye. As she turned down the hallway that headed towards the equipment room where she would get the necessary gear, I walked to my car. When I got in my car I turned on the overhead light and went over Sarah's file. After I was satisfied that she really did beat Matt's score, I left the parking lot and left for home.

As I pulled into my driveway  I noticed that my sister Marina's car was parked next to my brothers. When I walked in I smelt my sister's famous Italian spaghetti and I heard the usual arguing that happens whenever my sister cooked.

"NO, STOP YOU'LL RUIN IT" Marina yelled at Wesley who was obviously trying to put way too much garlic in it as usual.

"AFTER SAVING THE WORLD ON COUNTLESS OCCASIONS, I THINK I HAVE THE GOD GIVEN RIGHT OF TOO MUCH GARLIC" He yelled back as I walked in.

"Correction, you may have saved many different countries and people. But you have yet to save the world, and lay back on the garlic you really do put too much in it. And will both of you stop yelling!" I said at both of them

"Sam it's really good to see you again" Marina said excitedly giving me a hug.

"Hey sis" I said, "How have you been?"

"I've been great" she said, "Hey are you going to join me and Wes for dinner?"

"I would, you know how much I love your spaghetti, but I have to train our newest team member in the morning. I have to wake up early in the morning so I'm going to hit the hay. Sorry sis" I replied with yawn

"It's ok, there's always tomorrow" she said, somewhat crestfallen.

"What team is the new recruit going in?" Wesley asked while cleaning his nails with a ridiculously large knife

"Ours actually" I replied

"What? How is that even possible" He asked with a large amount of surprise and indignation in his voice.

"She beat Matt's selection score" I replied tiredly

"He is not going to be happy at all." Wesley replied as his eyes widened, "Especially loosing to a girl."

"Yeah, I know. I got to get to bed so I will see you in the morning." I said with a yawn.

"Good night bro." Wesley said patting me on the back,  "See you in the morning."

"What time do you have to get up in the morning? I'll make you coffee and some pancakes" Marina said with a smile.

"I have to be there at five so probably four forty-fiveish." I replied, longing to get to a shower.

"Ok, goodnight Sammy."She said as I walked up the stairs to my room.

I merely waved and continued my journey to the shower. As I was washing up I was forming a training plan in my head for Lieutenant Sarah kerns. After I got out of the shower I brushed my teeth and did my usual ritual before I went to bed, 100 push-ups, 100 crunches and 50 pull ups.

When I finally laid my head down I felt the reassuring bump under my pillow. That bump was my favorite pistol, my Colt 45. As I fell asleep I was thinking of my new recruit, and how she beat Matt's score. I was going to have fun training her tomorrow.
•••
You know those times when you go to sleep and your alarm clock goes off what seems like minutes later. Well, it seemed shorter than that when my alarm clock went went off in the morning. I got up, and while I was putting on my uniform I caught a wiff of pancakes emitting from the kitchen. I walked down the stairs to see Marina behind the stove, flipping the most delectable substance known to man: pancakes.

"Good morning Marina." I said while getting a cup of coffee and some pancakes, "Thanks for breakfast but I have to leave, I'm already late."

"Ok" she said, "ohh Wes already left."

"Thanks, see you later" I said closing the door to my house.

When I got in my car I texted Wesley;

Hey man sorry I wasn't up when you left. hey can you get the sim room ready for drills please.

Wesley responded immediately:

Yeah bro I already did, see you later

When I pulled into work I noticed Sarah waiting by my parking spot for me.
"Good morning Captain" she said
"Just call me Sam" I told her, " around the Colonel call me Captain but around me call me Sam."
"Yes sir" Sarah said obviously not catching on that I don't care for formality.
"You ready for training?" I asked walking towards the training room"
"I thought you'd never ask." She told me catching up with me.
This is gonna be fun I thought to myself not as I opened the training room door.
"Then let's go" I said