03 | a dance with destiny

Start from the beginning

And that brings me back to Chwe Hansol. With his fluffy brown bangs and innocent behavior, I had a hard time believing this kid was the same boy who had supposedly beaten another student half to death over a small prank. They never released what the prank exactly was, but it shouldn't have been something to fight over. There were just too much "supposedly" in this rumor for me to think of it as anything other than what it was - a rumor. But still, something about how inviting his personality was - how easily he captured my interest - made me wonder if that other rumor was true.

Did he really get another female student pregnant?

"Pretty necklace." Hansol said. His voice snapped me back to reality. The song was slowly starting to come to an end, meaning that the Fate Dance would be over soon. In the corner of my eye, I could already see the MC heading over to the stage.

"Thank you." I replied. Hansol's eyes crinkled delightfully as he smiled, revealing an adorable dimple. I decided that there was no way that rumor was true. If anything, Hansol was a cinnamon roll whose only crime was being too damn cute for his own good. Getting a girl pregnant? I bet Hyemi spread that rumor. The girl is so thirsty, she would spread a rumor that awful just to get rid of competition.

"And that concludes tonight's Fate Dance! Give our participants a round of applause." The MC announced. The lights turned to full brightness as Hansol and I broke apart.

"Hey."

"Yes?"

Hansol smiled at me and extended a hand. "If he doesn't mind, I was wondering if I could have another dance?" He?

I turned to where Hansol was looking. Wonwoo, my previous dance partner, was watching us carefully. Now that the dance was over, he looked ready to walk over at any moment. But with Jessica clinging onto his arm like a monkey tied to a tree, it seemed highly unlikely that he would be fast enough.

"Actually, she owes me a dance." A voice interrupted me before I could accept. Then, without warning, a hand wrapped around my waist, tugging me gently away from Hansol as Hyemi stepped in my place.

Hyemi. I scowled as she clung onto his arm. Hansol was smiling at her but obviously it was a somewhat forced one. He looked a bit puzzled, as if he wasn't sure how to take in Hyemi and her abrupt intervention. Well that's Hyemi for you. Whatever she wants, she gets.

"Sorry bout that, but Hansol's a jerk anyways." The voice belonging to Wonwoo's friend (what was his name again?) whispered in my ear as he led me away. Oh right, now that Hyemi had her prince, what was I supposed to do with the reject over here?

"Where are we going?" I asked. I turned to look at Wonwoo's friend. He had bright hair (how did I not notice before?) and an equally as bright outfit on. He was wearing a pinstripe suit but what really caught my attention was the bright pink carnation pinned to his lapel. And as he led me away from the dance floor - again, where were we going - it was all I could look at.

"Let's get a drink, I'm thirsty after all that dancing." He said with a smile. Oh I remember his name. Mr. Smiles! Well, that's not his real name, but it was all I could remember. Plus, it wasn't a too far off nickname. The guy was all smiles and crinkly eyes.

"Strawberry milk?" He said, offering me a drink. I looked down to see that he had gotten it from behind one of the pillars decorating the inside of the hall. I rose an eyebrow.