blossom

my head rests on his shoulder.

his hand finds mine, and our fingers intertwine.

he's so beautiful.

i'm so lucky to call him mine.

there is a different feeling when you fall in love with your best friend. no awkward one-night stands, no "blind dates," no "accidentally running into them and falling in love." it's not like the movies. nothing is.

falling in love with my best friend is, by far, the best decision i have ever made. why? he knows me. he knows exactly what makes me smile, what makes me tick, and he knows his limits. our friendship is still there, but there's an added layer of kissing and labels of "in a relationship." (there's also the, uh, other thing, but we won't get into that.)

i shift so that my weight rests on dan, and i listen to his heartbeat steadily. it lulls me, and i suppress a small yawn. dan's just watching some anime, and he has a goofy smile plastered on his face. my eyes droop slightly, and he takes notice of this.

"are you tired, my little flower?" he asks, tucking strands of hair behind my ear.

"a bit," i reply, smiling sleepily at him.

"here," he carries me gently to his bedroom, where i snuggle with his distinct scent under the covers.

"goodnight, my little flower," he kisses my forehead softly.

i am almost to tired to reply, but muster up my strength to ask the question, "why am i your little flower?"

"because you smell amazing," dan rolls his eyes playfully. "no, it's because you're absolutely beautiful, and it's natural. you're the sweetest being. you stay strong during harsh times. for that, you remind me of a flower."

i feel my eyes roll to the back of my head. "you're so cheesy; you're such a rat."

"exactly. i'm a rat, you're a flower." dan laughs. "i'm a cute rat, though... right?"

"you're the cutest," i nod, lolling against the headboard. he doesn't reply, so i continue. "well, this flower needs some shuteye. i don't have a cuter nickname for you, so, uh... goodnight, dan the cutest rat."

dan leans in and closes the distance between us. "i love you."

our relationship doesn't have a lot of "i love you's" and all that gush. it's awfully fluffy and cringe-worthy, but we tend to use those three words sparingly. it makes it a lot more meaningful, and by cutting down the use of it, we still feel like best friends. it's not awkward. it's love.

our relationship is a flower at full bloom, and i think it'll only get better from here.

things can change.