sprout - dan

i know it's time for me to move on.

i have to; i can't bear this pain any longer.

they always wanted their body to cremated; something about finally being free gave them that mindset.

i was going to set them free.

my thoughts race as i stand atop my small flat complex. the rooftop is windy-- perfect for what is about to take place.

goodbye, my love.

my little flower is finally free.

my road to recovery is not easy.

i lose track of the amount of therapy sessions i've had. i can't go a night without having a terrible dream, with no one to hold close. i wake up every morning in despair.

i finally decide it's time to go out to buy some more maltesers for dinner. i hate walking to the store, but i know my flower would want me to. i decide to walk.

on the way there, i accidentally bump into a tall man. he drops his basket full of eggs and flour. the two explode and splatter all over the floor; i feel absolutely horrible.

"im sorry," i start, finally getting a look at this mysterious man i bumped into. "i can pay you back."

"oh, it's alright!" the man replies cheerily. i stare at him, mesmerized by the man's adorable features. his eyes shine like blue tinted diamonds, and he has the blackest hair i've ever seen. i can't help but gape in awe.

"are you alright?" the man's eyes are suddenly full of concern.

"yeah, sorry," i reply, hoping his attitude isn't just a facade. "you just remind me a lot of my best friend."

"oh, where are they?" the man looks around curiously. i smile sadly, feeling my chest tighten.

"dead."

"oh, no! i'm so sorry," the man frowns, his baby blue eyes softening.

"not your fault," i nod meekly.

"hey, if it makes you feel better, i have no friends," the man chuckles.

"okay... that sounds fake, but okay," i snort.

"we could be friends!" the man pipes, almost hopefully.

"yeah, i'd like that," i grin. "my name's dan."

"i'm phil," the man now has a name. "i think we'll be good friends."

"the very best," i agree.

my friends, i don't know where this story leads to.

is this the end? what goes on next is a mystery.

my thoughts after seeing the letter made me compare love to a flower. it starts as a thought, this thing that has some sort of potential. if you're lucky, it grows. it grows and grows, making friendships. making bonds. one day, one very special day, can change the plant. it can bloom.

and when it blooms, sparks fly.

but, like anything else that lives, all good things must come to an end. just like a flower wilts and dies, so does love. maybe the love itself does not die, but people are people and people die. i can do nothing of the sort to change that.

my previous relationship unfortunately did not last long. i understand that i must move on. i must find a new plant to grow.

but, the flower that bloomed will forever be engraved in my mind.