Chapter 3

Chapter 3: Back on Solid Ground

My lovely new combat boots collide with the concrete causing my knees to buckle and give way as I lose my balance and lurch to the side but thankfully Ray was there to catch me and stand me upright once again. “Yeah, that wasn’t any fun at all.” I mumble as I bring my hand up to shield my eyes from the blazing sun. As my vision starts to blur at the edges I grab Rays arm to help steady myself because I would hate to fall again in such a dirt and disease filled ally.   

“Are you alright Wen?” Ray asks my as he stares down at me with worry filling his sweet and innocent blue eyes. His eyes sort of remind me of the water that I almost drowned in yesterday, ah the memories! “If you’re feeling dizzy just tell me and we can sit down for a bit. Or if you feel like you are going to throw up ‘cause I think there is a garbage bin somewhere back further down the alley.”

I hold my hand up to silence Rays rambling and shake my head. “Ray, shut up. I’m fine I just lost my balance there for a bit but I’m all good now.” I mutter and look around at the big bustling city of L.A. “So are you going to tell me now or did you lie about that, because I will cut off your balls.”   

Ray takes a slight step back from me and quickly looks over his shoulder at the crowded streets that are flooding with people. “Not here.” He whispers and I could barely hear him over all of the noise and tightens the hold on my hand slightly. “Are you sure that you’re alright?”

I sigh in annoyance at how persistent he is but nod anyways. “Yes Ray, I’m perfectly fine see.” I let go of his hand and do a little twirl before looking at him expectantly. “There you go. Happy now that you know that I am in good health?”                       

"Come on." Ray says and he still looks jittery as if even here we are not safe. He quickly pulls me down the street.

"Where are we going now Ray?" I ask.

"We're getting a hotel room." Ray answers casually and I skid to a halt. "What you stopping for?"Ray questions and I give him a shocked expression. Ray just stands there and gives me a confused look.

"I'm not going to sleep with you Ray! I barely even know you!" I exclaimed as I pulled my hand away from his. I notice that I'm getting a few weird looks and I don't know why. Then I realize that I'm dressed in pirate clothes He just stand there with there witht the same shocked expression that I gave him. "Wen, that's not what I meant."Ray sighs as he puts a hand on his face. "I meant that it would be a more private place to tell you. I'm not that kind of guy." I release a sigh of relief. "Oh, ok. Good." I can feel my checks turn a bright red. I'm so embarrassed. "Come on Wen, we're still not safe here." Ray whispers and we start heading for the hotel. *** Once settled in the hotel room, I find out that it only has one bed. Ray has already offered to sleep on the floor so that settles my nerves a little bit. Then Ray and I sit down on the bed. "So, are you going to tell me now?" I ask him as he looks me in the eyes. "So what do you want to know?" Ray mumbles as he shifts his position on the bed. "Peter Pan." I squeak. "And what he does to his victims." Ray grabs a fist full of the sheets and I see the muscles in his arms tighten. Then he rubs the back of his neck with his free hand awkwardly. "Umm..." "Come on Ray, I want to know." I push as I lean forward, trying to catch his eye but he looks the other way. "He tortures them. A slow, extremely painfull death. Sometimes it involes rape. Usually it takes about a week before he kills you." Ray whispers and clears his throat. "Why?" I squeak. "How can someone be so cruel?" "Because he has no emotions. They were taken from him a long time ago." Ray says plainly and I hear a hint of pain in his voice. "What do you mean taken from him?" I wonder out loud. "His shadow stole them from him and then dissapeared." "So that part about him having a living shadow is true?" I ask curiously and I could see the pain in his eyes. "In a way, yes." I could tell by the tone of his voice and the look in his eyes, that he didn't want to talk about it anymore. "So tell me something about you." I purr, trying to change the subject for him. We lay there for hours laughing and talking up a storm. "Oh my gobstoppers!" I giggle. "So you're the reason they call that crocodile the tick tock croc?!" Ray laughs, it's a deep, rough laugh, but it sound sweet. "Ya, I got pissed at my alarm clock one morning and I chucked it into the water. It just so happens that the stupid crocodile ate it." "So I'm guessing that you're not a morning person ether." I laugh and he smiles, making my stomach do a flip. He has an amazing smile. "Ugh, I hate mornings." Ray growls and I smile. "Looks like we have something in common." I say as I stare up at the ceiling. "I guess we do." Ray agrees. *** After a couple more hours of talking and laughing we must have fallen asleep because I wake up and look at Ray who's fast asleep. I try to move but Ray suddenly moves, grabbing my hip and pulling me close to him. He turns so that he's almost on top of me and then he nuzzles his nose into my collarbone. Great, I think to myself. He's just like a little puppy dog, so darn cute and lovable. Wait, did I just say he's cute? Eh, I have to admit that he is kind of. Wai, no. I'm lying, he's fucking gorgeous. I just lay there trying not to wake him even though his hand did slide down to in between my thighs. Ray starts to snore lightly after awhile and I fall asleep to the even breathing and his hot breathe on my neck.