Chapter 10: The test (Part 2)

Surprisingly, I had been one of the lucky few who had passed through the test unscathed. Just thinking about it made me want to gloat all over Cassio but since he wasn't around, all I could do was beam crazily. After the whole group was done with the riding test, it was time to go to the next test, archery.

The station was also situated on a plain field similar to the riding test before. Just that this time, instead of flattened pavements and hidden booby traps, we had targets and arrows. The targets were painted in a circular pattern with paint and at the centre of it all, was the bullseye painted in a eye catching crimson hue. They were arranged in a neat columns of rows with bows and arrows piled at the sides of the station.

Sir Charles grinned at me in recognition as he ambled towards everybody.

"Hello fellow comrades! I'm Sir Charles and I'm the commander for the archers. And if you pass this test, I'll be your commander. In this test, we'll be studying your shooting skills, well obviously...duh.(Haha sorry can't help it, just had to add some modern slang in here) Anyway, listen up and listen well, each of you will only have three arrows to shoot so you'll only have three chances to prove us right. Now, go find your own target and we'll start inspecting you. " He announced in his hearty voice.

Hurriedly clutching a thin bundle of arrows and a bow, I quickly rushed forward to pick a target. That was when I realised that I had no idea how to shoot an arrow. Studying the rest of the men as discreetly as possible, I tried to grasp at the techniques that the men were using but found the arrow slipping out of my hands, or the string would give a sudden shudder when I accidentally released it. I had no idea how to hold the bow with such ease and shoot with such confidence and suave. The commanders were inspecting our skills while I was still trapped in the quicksand of a situation and my clammy hands were not helping either. I was about to pull my hair when a kindly voice asked.

"Need some help?"

I swung my head, coming face to face with a pair of crinkling brown eyes and a mop of lustrous brown curls.

I hesitated, would I get mocked for being a man who doesn't know how to shoot?

When I faced those trusting sweet caramel eyes again, I found myself saying," Definitely!

His soft pink lips curved into a smile as he grinned, displaying his sparkling white teeth that shone in the sun.

Without saying a word, he stepped forward and gently grasped my hand as he guided them to the grip of the bow.

"Focus on the bullseye and spread your legs to the width of your shoulders." He instructed as I did exactly what he told me to.

"Alright, you're a little tense so I need you to loosen up and relax, remember, eyes on the target"

I took a deep breath and focused on the bullseye while gripping the bow with a looser hold on it. Squinting at the bullseye, I pulled the string back and released it. I'd like to say that my arrow broke through the air with a vengeance as it landed on the red bloody bullseye with terrifying precision. But no, instead, it made a most egregious display of shooting just past the edge of the target before falling off its mark and landing on the ground pathetically.

Looking up, I saw the brown haired man's shoulders shaking helplessly as he tried to hold back his laughter that was going to erupt from his mouth anytime. Just as I thought, he soon burst out in guffaws.

Despite the kindness he offered earlier on, I felt infuriated and indignant at his behaviour. It was my first time shooting, sure, it was horrible but it was my first time! Giving him a rough shove and tossing my head petulantly, I snapped out at him," Thank you very much for your help but I think I'm fine on my own,"

"I'm sorry b...but that was too hilarious! Hahaha!" He spluttered helplessly.

Great, now I looked like a joke. Just what I need when I wanted to look tough and manly.

Shoving him aside, I huffed as I pulled the string from the bow and released the arrow. I was still clouded by annoyance and frustration so I didn't bother to look at where my arrow landed. However, I did a double take when I saw the mark that my arrow hit. My arrow had hit the target... I cocked my head in confusion when I studied my arrow again but it soon struck my mind. My arrow had hit the target! At that moment, Sir Charles happened to pass me and saw the arrow embedded into the target.

"Looks like someone's about to become a future archer." He beamed.

I stared agape at my arrow, not quite sure how I'd done it. I merely shrugged helplessly at Sir Charles while he beamed his wide grin. He soon walked away to inspect another target, leaving me with the brown haired man. It wasn't until the man spoke before I recalled his presence.

"That was a really nice shot"

"Oh it was just beginner's luck but thank you for helping!"I said trying to hide my cockiness by putting on a modest front.

He grinned as he started making his way towards his target.

"Wait! Before you leave, may I know your name?" I blurted out without second thought.

"It's Rufus!" He replied as he gave me another one of his flashy grins before jogging away.

God help me but I think I'm in love.

Lucas
"Looks like somebody's about to become a future archer!" Sir Charles's deep rumbly voice rang out across the field.

Turning around to see who he was appraising, I was met with shock when I saw that little weakling. Perhaps he was just a natural at archery, I mused. After Sir Charles had gone, the weakling went on to thank a brown haired man standing behind her. He continued gazing at the man with a dazed look before strolling away to join the man who had finished the archery test. Having nothing better to do, I stared at the departing brown haired man who was now stationed at his target, seemingly not yet done with his test. He strung his bow with confidence as he stared at the target unfazed. The air seemed to stilled around him as the awaited with apprehension. The arrow flew with a whoosh when the bow left his fingers. A thud was made when the arrow hit the bullseye. He released a second arrow and this time, the arrow pierced through the first one. The third time he released another arrow held little suspense because he shot within a split second and all you could do was gasp in awe at his accuracy for the third arrow penetrated through all the arrows. Sadly, Sir Charles was at someone else's target and had missed the chance to witness such a talent. Expecting the brown haired man to give a whoop of joy or a victorious smile after achieving such a feat but all he did was have a neutral expression, like achieving such a feat like this was nothing new and something completely normal.

The man eventually joined the group who was done with the test and started conversing with the other men, probably wanting to know them better since some of them might be his future patrol mates, the archers. The group was soon filled up with the rest of the men and they moved on to the sword fighting station to start their sword fighting test.

A diminutive figure sped across the field to grab a wooden sword and I realised it was that pathetic little wimp. I was absolutely flummoxed by my sudden and pure hatred for him but I had no reins over my wild emotions and all I could do was stare at the wimp with livid wrath and hatred. Maybe it was his soft and feminine features or maybe it was my gut telling me that he would be of no use during the war due to his protected and sheltered life. As I stared at him waiting for an opponent for his test, an idea flitted through my mind. All I could do was smirk maliciously while the idea expanded over the scape of my mind.