Chapter 7: The last day

For the next two days before I leave for the war, people were constantly giving Marcus piteous looks and murmuring prayers for him. Marcus being the good natured lad that he was, would jest a little with the others and give a rueful smile. With all the confusion about the war and the depressing sorrow of parting with your loved ones, there was now a cloud of morose hanging above Orlinda. However, it didn't really seem to affect me. A kind of numbness has set over me. Maybe it was just the nervousness about my plans, the fear of death, the sadness of parting with my family and the thrill of leaving my boring old manor for some action all swished up together.

On the last day before the war, Cassio and I had gathered at the dining table to get ready for our dinner. We lowered our heads and fiddled at our food as the clank of utensils rang from the table. We soon realized that the clank of the utensils were coming from us as our parents were not eating but eyeing us with a despondent expression. Cassio and I set down our utensils unanimously and gazed at our parents before hearing Mother heaved out a sigh,"What are we going to do about Marcus?"

"Oh, he'll be fine." I blurted out unknowingly and was met with Mother's fierce glare.

"For lord's sake, how can you say that, Christina! Everybody knows that Marcus is going to kill that already battered body of his by going to that bloody war!"

I looked down so as not to let Mother see the tears prickling my eyes. Indignation filled my heart as I tried hard to control my tears from gushing out, The least they could do was to show a simple gesture of thanks. I mean for God's sake, I was sacrificing my life! However, I can't really blame them because they were kept in the dark but good lord the indignation hurt so badly!

Mother must have sensed the wound she inflicted on me because she soon added," Oh Christina, I'm sorry for my sudden outburst but do be more sensitive next time!"

I merely gave a nod as I continued eating my dinner with unease.

After eating that awlward dinner, I trailed off to my room. The thought of going to an actual war made the dinner I had just ate surging all the way up. I swallowed nervously before slumping down on my vanity chair. I stared at my brown tresses framing my cheeks and cascading down all the way to the small of my back. If I was going to look like a boy, I am going to have to chop off my precious locks. Taking a deep breath to calm my nerves and to boost my courage which was on a dangerously low level, I lifted my scissors up with trembling hands. Pushing its deadly blades open, I used my free hand to hold on to my hair as I got ready to slice a lock of hair off.

A sudden knock on the door made me jump up from shock and drop the scissors. Before I could recover from the slight scare, Cassio's head poppwd out from the door.

"Did I permit you to enter?" I grumbled in annoyance as I bent over to pick up the scissors.

"No. No you didn't, but it doesn't mean I care," Cassio smirked triumphantly as he walked over to me with his hands behind his back.

"What are you hiding behind your back?" I eyed him suspiciously.

"Oh! It's just some...HAIRY LITTLE MONSTER!" Before, I could react he had flung a black hairy mess at me.

My body convulsed with terror as I screamed for the whole kingdom to hear. Cassio merely guffawed and managed to splutter out," You should have seen your face!"

I stopped screaming and let a string of colourful language tumble out from my mouth. Cassio pulled a face at me befpre bending over to pick up the thing that had scared me so.

He lifted the thing in front of my face and I soon realized what it was.

"It's a wig!" I exclaimed.