Chapter 4: The happy life

10 YEARS PASSED

Cassio, Marcus and I were now all grown up and our tiny childish features have now molded into mature ones over time and the bond between us has also strengthened.

Cassio was now quite a looker for he had inherited the traits from our handsome father. He had the jet-black hair, masculine jawline and the chiselled cheekbones that made girls in the kingdom clamour for him. Thanks to these girls, I have observed and learnt quite a few flirting tactics for that was what they were doing all the time in front of my dear brother. They would flutter their fans demurely and laugh in a strained squealu voice that were meant to sound flirtatious but sounded like a dying mouse to me. My brother, on the other hand, would reciprocate their attention by flirting back shamelessly. Their attention fed his pride and what do you do when your pride is always hungry? Feed it back. And that is how you get Cassio, my arrogant and proud brother.

Now it's time to meet Marcus. Marcus is a good looking gentlemen but he smells of the stable which smells of horse dung. Cassio and I learnt to put up with the smell and have stayed as his closest companions throughout the years. His green eyes have always reflected his pleasant personality and the freckles dotting his cheeks made him look friendlier. Due to the time spent in the sun,his skin had turned tan and darkened his sandy brown hair. Marcus has always played the role of the peacekeeper between Cassio and I when we get into trifle squabbles or a fully heated argument. Being a peacekeeper is not the only role he plays though, Marcus also acts as my confidant and best friend.

After talking about these two boys, you're probably wondering about me. Well,there's nothing much to discuss about me. Unlike my brother,my physical appearance wasn't as striking as Cassio. I was the unlucky offspring who had gained the flaws of my parents. I had dull hazel brown eyes. My lips weren't at pouty as my mother's and I wasn't as tall as my Father. At least I've got my long brown hair cascading down my back, it's my best asset and of course my prized possession. However,I still look pretty plain and unlike my brother, will never have a chance to attract the other gender. But that's alright, after spending my whole life with an egotistical jerk of a brother, I've had enough of the opposite gender. Boys were dirty, their habits were simply repulsive and they can be loud and rowdy which absolutely puts me off. At the various balls and galas my parents hold, I see them in rich and clean clothings but really all of that were just props to hide their disgusting mannerisms.

Speaking of my parents, they have definitely aged a little but despite the passing of time they were still gorgeous as ever and have the usual aura of elegance emanating from their body. They still have a cloud of romance hanging over them and it was endearing and sweet to see them holding hands wherever they walk or giving each other a quick peck on the cheeks. But there were times when their romance got too far. Like that one instance where I heard strange noises in my parents room and went to investigate, yeah, bad idea.

Everything was happy and perfect with everything all in place for a moment. I had my parents who were still as beautiful and loving as ever, I had my brother who was simply revolting but sweet at times and lastly I had my best friend , Marcus. It was such a perfect life that I was living when that catastrophic news reached the kingdom's ears. That was the moment when the tension began and the fear started spreading throughout the kingdom.