Chapter 3: The Royal Tragedy

I watched her coughed out blood and saw the fever taking over her body, making her frail and limp. Her tiny frame lay despairingly on the huge bed, making it out of proportion and the light in her eyes was diminishing by the second. I didn't want to see her in such a state so I tried to keep away from her room as much as possible. The servants tittered hither and thither all around the castle to ensure that the queen was comfortable, Soldiers were dispatched all over the kingdom to find some miracle cure for the sickly queen but to no avail.

She finally left the world on a cold dark night and I wasn't there to catch a final glimpse of her.

My hopes were so high! She had to get well! Why did she leave me all alone? Doesn't she love me?

Father came to my room that night she left.

"Lucas,your mother..."

"I know,father."

" Why didn't you see her when she called for you?"

"I didn't see the need to. I thought the fever would go away. She promised me! She said she would be cured and I could see her everyday from then on!."

Father was silent. I looked up and I saw that he was bent over, body heaving up and down because he was crying.

"Father..."My voice trailed off.

"Oh I loved her so! She was my star illuminating my world and touching my heart. She was my sunshine! My rose! My love! She was my EVERYTHING! She gave me a wonderful son and the best years of my life and now she's just GONE... disappeared from the face of the earth forever" He looked at me with his eyes brimming with tears.

I wanted to cry from the sudden pain that wrenched my heart. Clutching it until everything feels tight and I find it unbearably hard to breathe. Jabbing it with sensations like piercing shards of glass that ruptured my soul as it penetrated through me with every single breath I took. I could feel my vision blurring as the tears welled up in my eyes. However, I was determined not to cry. Why should I? Why should I cry for someone whom did not love me enough to break a promise whom I had expected them to hold through with all my heart. Why should I cry for someone who don't love me enough to stay in this world for me? Tell me, why should I? I took a shuddering breath as I tried to suck my tears back.

"Did you love her?"I asked in a frighteningly calm tone.

Father looked at me in shock.

"Of course I did Lucas, you know it better than anyone else!"

"If you didn't love her, would you be this bereaved?"

"No I guess not. I guess I wouldn't grieve for her like that. Lucas, the thing is I love her and I know you love her too." I was only ten but I understood what the problem was, it was love.

If love hadn't existed, I wouldn't have loved my mother for naught.

If love hadn't intercepted,this crushing ache in my heart would never have existed.

I wanted this pain to go away and the only way would be to stop loving.

Christina

We were to attend the queen's funeral on the palace grounds. It was a small party as the king only invited people who were exceptionally close to the queen and the royal family. The queen was to be cremated and a ring of mourners circled around the burning corpse with their heads bowed. This was partly due to the respect for the queen but it was mostly due to the heavy cloud of grief weighing over our heads.The glaring rays of the afternoon sun stung my skin and I could feel the drops of sweat trickling down the arch of my back, tickling my skin and causing me to fidget even though I was supposed to stay motionless. I tried my best to remain still but the scratchy material of my black mourning dress wasn't helping either.

Frankly, I was bored at the ceremony. I know I know... I was supposed to mourn and grieve for the dead queen but I was never close to her! The longest conversation we ever had was about a lunch menu and I was frustrated at having to stand under the hot sun with my aching legs. My eyes roved around the surroundings to distract myself from the growing pain in my legs and the unscratchable itch taking over my body. I soon found myself staring at a boy about the same as me. He was looking downwards and had a shimmering head full of blonde hair and pale snowy skin.

Before I could look away, he caught my gaze. I was drawn into the boy's eyes, his eyes were the most startling shade of blue I've ever seen. Mother had startling blue eyes too but her eyes charms you, beckons you, it attracts you. The boy's eyes were acting in the opposite way, they repel you. It was like staring into this pool of deep dark icy freezing water found in the coldest regions of the earth. Ever heard of the phrase, "The eyes are the windows to ones soul?"

Well, staring into the boy's eyes made me face a boy who was devoid of emotions, nothing left but a shell of empty coldness... I shivered and I felt a twinge of sympathy for him.

Just then, I felt a nudge at my shoulder.

"Hey, I know that boy's good looking but do stop staring at him.Its getting disturbing. " Cassio muttered under his breath.

My eyes widened at the sudden realisation and I looked down abruptly to avoid the boy's gaze.

I have never seen such eyes and I hope to never see them again.