Chapter VIII: Happy Birthday Pup

Start from the beginning

"What? But why? What are you talking about?" Harry enquired, a look of utter bewilderment crossing his features. "Harry Potter must not go back to Hogwarts! Bad things happen at Hogwarts sir. HARRY POTTER MUST NOT GO BACK TO HOGWARTS!" The elf 's initial plea turned into a loud screech and before Harry could ask any further questions, Dobby was gone with a resounding CRACK.

Harry was stunned. Why had the elf come here? Should he tell Sirius? What would his godfather say?

But then it suddenly dawned on him. It was a prank. A stupid, lame prank that was being played on him by one of the students at Hogwarts. He decided to forget about all of this and start working on that essay as he did not Snape sneering at him on his first day back at Hogwarts. As he started working on the essay with his copy of Magical Drafts and Potions lying open nearby for any reference.

******************************************************************

While his godson was at home, probably doing some homework, Sirius had gone over to the Weasleys and invited them for Harry's birthday. He gave them the details and the matriarch of the Weasley family had assured him that the entire family would be present to celebrate Harry's birthday.

Later, he sent an owl to Hermione as well as Harry's other friends after he came home and was just about to go to the library when he heard a CRACK from Harry's room. Frowning slightly, he went upstairs and opened the door to the boy's room.

Harry froze when he heard the door being opened. He whirled around to see his godfather standing outside. "What was that sound I heard Harry?" He asked. He didn't sound angry in the least, only confused. "N-Nothing" Harry replied, feeling guilty about lying to Sirius but he really didn't want to make a big deal of some joke being played on him. "Are you sure?" Asked Sirius, giving Harry a questioning look. Harry nodded the affirmative so Sirius didn't say anything more. After Sirius left, Harry tried to do his essay and suppress that tiny bit of guilt and managed to do two out of the four feet.

Harry couldn't fall asleep that night. He didn't know why though. Sirius had tucked him in at ten and he had been tossing and turning in his bed for quite some time. He waited slowly for sleep to overcome him and it did at last.

**********************************

Harry's eyes fluttered open to meet a pair of grey ones. Except that they didn't belong to a man. A huge black dog stood, tall and proud near the headboard, his eyes twinkling mirthfully. Harry didn't have time to think much as the dog climbed onto his bed and hovered above him.

The sight of a huge animal towering over him would have terrified Harry but not this one. "Good morning Sirius." The dog transformed and there stood Harry's godfather. Before Harry knew it, he was lifted off his bed and onto the floor in an upright position as his godfather's arms pulled him into a tight hug.

"Happy birthday pup." Sirius whispered, his chin resting on top of Harry's head after kissing the unruly black hair. With all the moving and settling that had been happening Harry had completely forgotten his birthday. But Sirius had remembered. He could feel himself positively bursting with love and affection for his godfather.

"Thanks Sirius." He said as he hugged the man back. "Get dressed and come downstairs pup." Said Sirius and left the room.

Harry got ready and rushed downstairs only to find Remus sitting in the living room instead of Sirius. "Where's Sirius?" The question popped out of his mouth before he could stop himself and Harry mentally berated himself for having been so rude.