Afraid of Being Vulnerable

Song: Chelsea Smile by Bring Me The Horizon

Marietta

After an agonizing few minutes, I my eyes locked on to the small screen on the plastic stick in my hand. On the small box was a little digital plus sign. I could feel a smile twitch at the corners of my mouth. I was pregnant. There was a baby inside of me. In nine months, I would be a mother. I wanted to go run and tell everyone I knew. I was just so ecstatic. My first instinct was to call Holly. I knew she would be happy about this and that was what I needed. I needed someone to tell me I wasn't crazy for wanting this baby and I knew I would get the exact opposite response from Chris.

"Hey, Marietta," she greeted cheerily after a few rings. I was so glad she picked up because I hadn't thought of the fact that she might be at work until after I dialed her number.

"Holly, guess what," I commanded. If I was a little kid, I would have been jumping up and down with excitement. It was so awesome to think that in less than a year, we'd be parents

"What?" she responded. I was literally about to burst and blurt out what I had to tell her. Even if I was still a bit scared about telling Chris, I was too delighted about this to let it bring me down too much.

"I'm pregnant!" I exclaimed, trying to keep my voice down. I hadn't heard anyone come into the restroom, but the last thing I wanted was one of my coworkers to find out I was having a baby before my own husband did.

"That's amazing, Mari. I'm so happy for you and this means I'll be an aunt soon," she squealed, sounding just as eager as I felt. "Wait, but I thought Chris said he didn't want a baby," she added, not sounding confused.

"Well, this wasn't exactly planned," I explained, my tone sounding a bit sheepish. It did seem pretty coincidental that just when I was talking about having a baby I ended up pregnant, but I honestly hadn't done this on purpose.

"Oh, have you told Chris yet?" she asked. I wished she would go back to sounding enthusiastic instead of distressed. I wanted to be happy about this baby. I was happy about this baby.

"No, I called you first since I knew you'd be happy," I answered as I wrapped the pregnancy test in toilet paper and shoved it in my back pocket. I figured I should show it to Chris later.

"I am. This is so exciting!" she exclaimed, her attitude doing a complete 360. I could always count on my best friend to bring my spirits up.

We talked for another few moments until she said she needed to get to work and we hung up. I decided I should tell Chris in person and not over the phone even though it would be much harder. With that, I went back to my desk to eat the sandwich I had packed. The butterflies in my stomach flapped their wings all afternoon. What was Chris going say?

************************************************

I ended up working later than I had expected that night. At seven thirty, I finally pulled into our driveway. I usually got home around six, so I was exhausted. The last thing I wanted to do was tell Chris about the baby, but I knew I couldn't put it off. It was half his, so of course he had a right to know.

"You're home. I was getting worried," he called to me as I closed the front door behind me. He then came to meet me in the living room and gave me a quick kiss on the cheek before I hung up my keys.

"Sorry, I ended up getting wrapped up in my work and totally lost track of time," I apologized. Part of me kind of knew it was getting late, but I was just dreading going home so I just continued working.

"It's ok. As long as you're ok," he responded as we made our way over to the couch. I practically flung myself down that was how tired I was. The old sofa had never felt more comfortable. "You wanna order pizza for dinner?" he asked. Besides being tired, I was also insanely hungry. I had eaten at noon and seven hours with no food was way too long in my opinion.

"That sounds perfect," I responded, practically envisioning the gooey cheese and doughy crust. All I wanted to do was sleep and eat.

Chris then called our local Domino's and ordered our meal. After he hung up, I knew I couldn't put this off forever. I just needed to tell him and get it over with. Why was I so upset anyway? I was sure he would trust that I hadn't meant to get pregnant even if I had wanted a baby. I wouldn't go behind his back like that. Not to mention, I knew he wouldn't leave me because of this. He wasn't that kind of guy to bail on me because I was pregnant. I knew he would be a great father. Even though it might be hard for him to away so often, I knew he would step it up and do everything he could for this kid.

"Chris, I need to tell you something," I announced uncertainly after my jumbled up thoughts stopped. I avoided his eyes and instead fixated my attention on toying with my wedding rings.

He was about to respond with the doorbell rang. I guess I had spent too much time overanalyzing the situation. I was almost relieved that I was able to put off telling him for a few more moments. My mind was still racing as he set down the pizza box on the coffee table in front of me. My hands turned sweaty as he sat down next to me again. There was no putting it off again because he was looking at me with his beautiful chocolate irises filled with concern.

"So, what do you need to tell me?" he asked as he grabbed a slice of cheesy goodness from the large box. You need to tell him, the voice in the back of my mind screamed. All I could do was think about all the things he could say.

"I'm pregnant."