Chapter 11 - Sophie

Start from the beginning

"Well, Zoey and I are coming over," he decided. "We'll be over in thirty minutes."

"Justin, you can't-," I began. He hung up before I could finish my sentence. I pulled the phone away from my ear and set it on the couch beside me. My mom had retreated to the kitchen again, so I was alone. The scent of crispy bacon danced through the air, making my mouth water. I got up and walked towards the kitchen.

"Justin and Zoey are coming over," I said to my mom as I poked my head through the door.

"Okay honey," she said nonchalantly, keeping her eyes on the sizzling bacon in front of her. I left the kitchen and went back to my room to get dressed. In the corner of my room, I saw the box that was left on my bed. I told my mom, and she had called Darius about it. He said he would be by later in the morning to collect the evidence and to not touch it anymore. The fact that that man had been in my room again gave me chills.

I pushed everything out of my mind and took a long, hot shower. When I stepped out, steam lingered throughout the bathroom like a sauna. I stood in front of the sink and wiped some of the water from the mirror, then stared at myself for a few moments. My eyes were still bloodshot from crying. Part of me mentally slapped myself every time I started to. Nothing seriously bad happened to me. I could have been killed, but I wasn't. More serious things could have happened to me, but they didn't. Crying only made me feel weak, and part of me thought that's what the man wanted; for me to feel weak and vulnerable. I didn't want to give him the satisfaction.

"Sophie, Justin, and Zoey are here!" I heard my mom call from outside my bedroom.

"I'm getting dressed!" I replied, wrapping myself in a towel. "Tell them to give me five minutes!"

I heard her footsteps retreating as I walked into my room. I quickly dried my body and pulled out an old t-shirt and some sweatpants from my dresser. Naomi was laying on my bed, watching me with a tired expression. I pulled my t-shirt over my torso and stroked her fur a few times. She was probably more tired than me. She wouldn't sleep all night, knowing I was awake.

"Sleep, girl," I whispered. She let out a sigh and licked my hand. It was amazing how human-like dogs could be, and how they could understand you the way they did. I was lucky to have her. Without Naomi, I don't know what would have happened last night.

There was a knock at my door. "Sophie?" It was Zoey.

"Come in." I leaned over and tied my damp hair up in a bun. The door squeaked open and Zoey walked in.

"Hey."

I flashed her a small smile. "Hey."

She walked over to me and hugged me tightly. "I am so sorry."

"Zoey, Justin tried to do the same thing. Don't apologize for something you couldn't control," I sighed, fighting back the tears that formed in my eyes. "Don't blame yourself."

She started crying as she held me. "I should have stayed. I didn't even go to that party. I shouldn't have left you here alone."

"Zoey..." I trailed off, hugging her back tightly. "I'm okay, I promise."

My door opened wider and Justin walked in. Zoey stepped back and Justin pulled me against him. I finally broke down and cried into his shoulder. He kissed my forehead and held me against his chest tightly. I wrapped my arms around him and gripped his t-shirt.

"I'm sorry," he said. He was crying, which surprised me. Justin never cried. The only time I remember him crying is when he broke his arm during the state playoffs and he couldn't win with the basketball team.