"Is Lord Russell to marry this woman, then?" inquired Catherine.

"I do not know," replied Julia, with a heavy sigh.

The remainder of the evening passed in something of a blur. Despite Sir William and Lady Cavendish's valiant attempts at calming Lady Russell, the woman was beyond consolation, and it was not long before she fainted away in her chair. While Lady Cavendish anxiously attempted to revive her, the ever-sage Sir William declared he simply would not allow the two Russell ladies to venture home; they must stay at Broxcliffe Park. Neither was in a state to decline, and so a flurry of activity ensued as the doctor was called for Lady Russell and arrangements were made to have bedchambers made up for the weary mother and daughter.

During this chaos the Fanlow Cottage party took their leave, and despite being rather distracted Catherine felt a tugging at her heart as she watched Professor Lawes depart. She could not stop replaying the moment just before Lady Russell's scream in her mind. Something very profound had happened to her during those few seconds; she had found herself overcome with a surge of desire for the professor so intense and new it had frightened her, although it was an exhilarating sort of fear. Catherine ached to know whether Professor Lawes had experienced it too, and she could hardly wait until the next time they were together so that she might better gauge his feelings towards her.

But there were currently more important matters to think of, Catherine reminded herself firmly – she would have ample time to daydream of Professor Lawes once she retired to bed for the night. Thanks to the Cavendish family's swift cooperation, Lady Russell and her daughter were soon accommodated in two of Broxcliffe Park's guest bedchambers – but before Catherine could make her way to her own bedchamber, there was one other person who required her attention.

"Julia," murmured Catherine, knocking gingerly on the door although it was highly unlikely that Julia would already be asleep. Sure enough her cousin's nightgown-clad figure soon appeared in the doorway, and as Catherine peered into the dark room she noticed that the bed had not been used; Julia must have been pacing her room since the maid left.

"May I come in a moment?" asked Catherine gently.

Julia admitted her at once, shutting the door behind her as Catherine took a seat on the bed.

"I had an inclination that you might want to talk," Julia told her as she crossed the room and joined Catherine, drawing her shawl about her shoulders. "What a to-do! I cannot imagine the extent of your displeasure at having the Russell ladies as our guests, Catherine – I am displeased enough, and I never did find them as irksome as you do."

"It is not the Russells I came to speak of, Julia," Catherine told her firmly, "but rather you."

"Me?" echoed Julia, feigning ignorance although a deep flush was slowly creeping up her neck.

"Yes, my dear. I came to inquire how you were feeling, given the events of this evening."

"Well, I – I cannot think why you..." spluttered Julia incoherently.

"You cannot pretend to me that the contents of the letter to Lady Russell did not affect you," interrupted Catherine. "To do so would be to speak untruthfully, and it is only by expressing what you truly feel that you may overcome the suffering caused by your acquaintance with Lord Russell."

Julia's face crumpled in defeat, and the sight of her cousin's trembling lip was an icy blade through Catherine's heart. To cause Julia further suffering was the last thing Catherine had wanted, but she knew that only by Julia speaking of her pain could the wounds inflicted by Lord Russell begin to heal.