Chapter 4: Quiet Storms

Start from the beginning

%#*#%#*#%#*#%#*#%#*#%#*#%#*#%#*#%#*#%#*#%#*#%#*#%#*#%#

*| Steel's POV |*

I took one last look at the hospital room holding my baby brother before turning around completely and making my way back to the waiting room.

Once I got there, I glanced around quickly looking for an empty chair. I spotted one in the back corner, but just as I was about to make my way over to it I hear Skylar's name being called. My head snapped up and I turned around so quick I almost tripped myself. I walked over to the doctor who called his name and stopped in front of him.

"Hi, I'm here with Skylar, is he okay?" I asked anxiously. My hands were fidgeting at my sides and my whole body was on alert.

"Well, he seems to be recovering alright. In simple terms, he has fractures in his left hand, 3 broken ribs, one of which pierced his lung, so he has been on oxygen since the quick surgery to fix it and severe bruising covering his body. He's in room 127, he should be sleeping now, but you are more than welcome to visit him until he wakes up." The doctor said, before turning around and leaving, without even waiting for my response.

I ignored his rudeness and started jogging down the hallway in an attempt to find Sky's room quicker. I came to an abrupt stop in front of his room when I finally found it. The door was closed so I grabbed the door knob and twisted slightly, pushing the door open with a loud click.

When it opened fully what I saw made my breath constrict in my throat. Skylar was thrashing around on the bed with tears streaming down his face and his eyes squeezed shut.

"Skylar!" I shouted in desperation. Quickly running back into the hallway, I yelled for a nurse before running back inside, straight to Skylar's bedside.

Once I reached him, I noticed his breathing had slowed down and the tears had stopped flowing. It seems that he had passed out and was now unconscious. Leaning over him, I placed my hand on his cheek and wiped away most of his tears.

A nurse arrived in that moment, rushing over to Skylar's bedside to stand next to me. Gazing down at him while panting, out of breath, she asked what was wrong. I said it was no matter now but I was wondering when I could take him home.

"Since we've finished up with the wrap on his wrist and his breathing seems to be a lot easier, even after I removed his oxygen tube, you should be able to take him home in the morning. We only need to keep him the night for observation. If that's all, I'll leave you here with him." She answered with a slight smile before slowly exiting the room and closing the door softly behind her.

I sighed before grabbing the uncomfortable chair from against the wall and pulling it over beside his bed. I sat down and leaned over the side of his bed, folding my arms under my head on the edge of his mattress and closed my eyes. Thinking that this was going to be a long night.

%#*#%#*#%#*#%#*#%#*#%#*#%#*#%#*#%#*#%#*#%#*#%#*#%#*#%#*#%#*#

*| Sky's POV |*

I could feel myself slipping. Feel myself falling away from who I really was. Could I hold on? Could I remain me? Could I truly brave this quiet storm and come out on top?

His evil smile and calculating stare bore into my flesh, along with the cold, metal dagger He held. The only warmth I felt in this hell was my own warm blood flowing down my flesh. How much longer would this continue? How much longer could my small, 5 year old body hold out? His cruel laugh sounded off the walls, chilling me to the bone. This was hell. This was pure torture. This... was the end.

•••

I woke with a start. My eyes peeled open, and I forced my breathing to slow as I gazed up at the ceiling. Whiteness hovered above me, a blank slate, just like me. This is now. This is not in the past anymore. I do not belong to the past, but I do belong to Him.