Chapter 14: Blake Belladonut

~Weiss~

Weiss sat regally in the stands as she watched a bunch of boys clad in helmets tackle each other to the ground on a field covered in fake grass. She didn't particularly like sports, but football definitely took the cake--or one reason and one reason only.

"Weiss!"

Her train of thought was cut off by her cousin's voice in the distance. She shot up and turned around. "Blake! I thought you'd abandoned me," the heiress complained.

"Oh please, you know you love watching Neptune out there," the raven-haired girl replied, gesturing to the football field.

Weiss felt her face flush. As rumor had it (and truth told it), she had a big, fat crush on one of the biggest football jockeys in the school: Neptune Vasillas. (His bold nature and admittedly good looks made him the perfect candidate for the heiress' affection.) The only problem was that no matter how hard she tried, she just couldn't muster the courage to say a word to him.

"One can only sit in the hot sun for so long," Weiss teased. She grabbed her spotless white backpack and slid on the straps before following Blake out of the stands.

"So, how are the boys doing?" Blake inquired, attempting to fill the silence that had begun to surround them on their way to the car.

"They're improving," Weiss lied. She honestly couldn't care less about the team. "If only Cardin wasn't quarterback..." That, she meant.

Her taller cousin laughed. "Yeah, I'd like to see that punk get knocked down a couple pegs, too. Everyone tells me he's like the school bully you see in cheesy high school movies."

"Don't pay attention to rumors," Weiss replied with a special touch of sarcasm.

"Oh, I'm the one with a grudge?" Blake countered. "Right, and you don't spend your entire existence trying to screw over his life just because he kicked your ass in the fifth grade spelling bee."

"Excuse me? That was one time I tried to sue him, and for a perfectly good reason!" Weiss bit back. The two looked at each other with blank stares for a couple seconds before giving in to laughter (for completely different reasons).

"The things your mom will do to get the upper hand," Blake huffed. "She comes down like a blizzard on the court. I can see where you get that ice-cold attitude of yours."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Weiss pouted.

Despite the bitterness that occasionally passed between them, Weiss and Blake genuinely cared about each other. Blake was like Weiss' sister and best friend combined. Since her parents had no time to "take care of a little girl" (as she'd once overheard her father say), and Winter wasn't at the household anymore, the heiress sought companionship in the girl who used her (questionable) blood relation as an excuse to become a Schnee servant.

"It means you're a Schnee," Blake replied.

Weiss drooped. "Well, you aren't wrong there."

Still, she wanted to be anything but a Schnee. The snowflake seamlessly stitched onto her backpack suddenly became an unwelcome burden.

•••

"I should be on the cover!" Weiss hissed to herself as she tossed the latest Fencer's Weekly from her desk to her bed. Putting her face in her hands, she stared at the plain wood between her fingers and sighed. "Why does everything have to be so...disappointing?"