Chapter Thirty-five

Start from the beginning

"Are you hurt? Is leg hurting?" he asks, frantic. 

I laugh. "I'm fine, I promise!" 

My brothers catch up to us, joined by Andrea. 

Austin narrows his eyes. "Don't scare me like that," he says, but ends up joining in laughter. He helps me onto my feet and leans down and we kiss. 

"None of that," Logan says and we jump back. 

"Why do you guys kiss all the time?" Joey asks, sighing. "Don't you get tired of it?"

Jude laughs, lifting him onto his shoulders. "They're in love, Joe," he explains, and Joey's face crinkles. "You'll kiss someone someday and feel the same way."

"Can I kiss Bella?" Joey asks, shocking all of us. 

Austin's lips twist up. "Over my death body, little man." 

Joey just smiles, sticking out his tongue. 

Everyone laughs, heading back up the hill. Austin carries me, one of my brothers taking our sled. 

"Joey is going to be your brother-in-law someday," I say, smiling. 

"Yes, we will be. One way or another."

***

Diane went all out to decorate and prepare for New Years. 

The counters are filled with different kinds of finger foods and it takes all my mothers strength to hold my brothers back from digging in as soon as they see it. 

"Boys, go mingle," she says, shaking her head. "Don't be such pigs, you have more manners." She scolds Ben, Aidan, and Quinn. My oldest brothers Jude, Logan, Owen, and Daniel have gone to a new years party with old friends with Beatrice and Cassie. 

Joey runs to Isabella, Austin's sister as soon as we enter the house. They hug and exchange gifts before Isabella leads him away to show what she got from Santa. 

Austin lingers behind his mom and step-fathers, watching me. 

"You look gorgeous tonight," he says, once my parents and brothers have gone into the living room. I look down, glancing at my blue dress with tights. The only thing wrong is the crutches, which I can't wait to get rid of.

I blush. "Thanks, you look charming," I say, checking out his dress pants and black dress shirt. He has a red bow tie. "Love the bow tie."

"Are you guys just going to linger out here all night," the voice of my best friends hisses. I glance around Austin. Andrea is peering around the kitchen hallway, staring at us. "Come on, we're ready to kick your ass at Monopoly."

We join Aidan, Ben Quinn, and Seth at the kitchen table. 

An hour later, Aidan and Quinn are in an argument who is winning. 

Austin chuckles, looking at me. "Come here, I want to give you something," he says, leading me into the kitchen, away from everyone else. I follow him, hobbling on the crutches.

Austin kneels down, grinning wildly.

"What are you doing," I stage-whisper as he reaches into his pocket, taking out a black box, similar to what a ring would be carried in. 

I cover my mouth, unsure of what is going on, but realize he's giving me a ring.

Austin looks up at me, a small smile playing on his lips.

"Emma, my love, I know this year has been hard for you but I will always be here for you."

Austin opens the box and I peer at what's inside. "Someday, I'll give you a diamond ring, but for now, I think this will do," he says and reaches for my hand and I give it to him.

On my middle finger, a silver ring is placed by Austin.

A promise ring.

"I don't know what to say," I mumble, nervous laughter bubbling out. Austin laughs, standing back up and kisses my forehead, then my cheek, down to my lips. 

"Then don't say anything," He says, leaning back to rest his forehead against mine. "You're the only girl I want to spend every second or everyday with Emma."

My heart is swelling by the minute and it feels as if it will burst any minute. 

Diana calls out. "Its almost New Years everyone!"

"Emma, I love you," he says, leaning down. 

People begin to count down to the New Year.

"I love you too," I whisper.

"Happy New Year," everyone cheers, laughing. 

And to many, many more.

I'll comb through later and check for errors and mistakes!

This is the last chapter before the epilogue!

Thanks so much for reading! 

Vote and Comment!