The Blackest Day

(one) i fell in love with a lightning storm.
(two) i fell in love with a falling star.
(three) i fell in love with you,
and it hurts even more.

- countdown to heartbreak, m.j pearl

xxxxx

And finding answers.
Is forgetting all of the questions we called home.
Passing the graves of the unknown.
As reason clouds my eyes, with splendor fading.
Illusions of the sunlight.
And a reflection of a lie, will keep me waiting,
with love gone, for so long.

xxxxx

t w e n t y:

L y d i a

She rose to an empty bed.

Lydia sensed the lack of his presence as soon as her eyes blinked open, she groaned, sitting up in bed and rubbing the back of her neck to get rid of a kink.

When she sat up straighter and recovered her bearings; Stiles was still nowhere to be seen - in his own bedroom. Maybe he just got hungry and hurried downstairs for breakfast. Maybe he's in the shower. Maybe it's a Spiderman thing.

The dread pooling in the pit of her stomach however, told her otherwise. Lydia didn't have spidey senses like he did, but she tended to go with her intuition, and right now, her intuition was not a pretty one.

Lydia leapt out of bed, stretching and staring at the sunlight pouring in from the opened curtains in his bedroom, coloring everything in golden silhouettes. She grabbed her phone to check the time. Damn it. It was afternoon. She'd slept in.

Lydia strolled over to the bathroom, but the door was ajar and there was nobody inside. Let's not hop to conclusions, Jumpy - said a voice in her head and she rushed out, running downstairs to find a distressed John Stilinski sitting upon the dining table with his head in his hands.

He was in his police uniform but he didn't look like he was prepared to face work today. Lydia had often conversed with Mr. Stilinski, he was a friend of her mother's and was often seen around their school too, patrolling or leading drug inspections. He was also well-known as one of NYPD's most esteemed field officers.

Lydia cleared her throat. "Um. Hi, . Have you seen Stiles?" she asked politely. John raised his head and whirled around to look at her, the permanent worry lines on his face only seemed to deepen at her hopeful expression.

The look he shot her killed it, though. He sighed and handed her a piece of paper without saying a word.

Lydia frowned and gently accepted it, staring at the note intensely.

Hey, Dad. I'm going to have to head out for a bit. I can't tell you what it is, but it's something important. Don't freak out. I know how much you'd like to murder me right now, but you've got to trust me when I say the next move that I make, it's going to save this city and ensure your job stays secure. So you could say it's a rescue mission. I'm sorry I didn't tell you about this part of my life, but... but just in case things don't work out as planned, I need you to know. I need you to know that I am Spiderman. I was bitten by a radioactive spider over a year and a half ago and Spiderman was the result. I'll fill you in on everything when I'm back, I promise. Dad. I love you. You mean abso-freaking-loutely everything to me so please just... Believe in me and let me do what I've set out to do. It's important you don't let the police get involved in this goosechase, it'll only add fuel to the fire and it might get someone killed. I'll be back. I won't leave you alone, Dad. I won't leave you like mom had to leave us. I'll be back. Just... Please don't freak out. I'll do the dishes for years to come, I'll do my laundry every week, I swear I'll arrange all the files and folders in your office in alphabetical order for you. I'll take any punishment, just put your trust in me and handle the NYPD for now. I'll see you soon.