Chapter Thirty-four

Start from the beginning

The camera moves and it shows fourteen year old me and Andrea playing volley ball against Ben and Aidan with a mobile net. The camera moves with the ball until Andrea spikes the ball over the net. Ben launches himself to dump the ball but misses, and the ball lands in the sand. 

We cheer, mom joining in and the boys stick out their tongues like childish five year olds. 

"Good job girls, show them how its done," she shouts, earning a glare from the boys. She only laughs, and the screen turns black. 

"I miss it when mom used to video tape everything," Jude says. 

"She always said she wanted something to look back on when you all were out of the house," my dad say, clicking on the remote. "Are we all ready for the next?" 

I nod, hesitantly. It wasn't that bad and nice to see what mom recorded. 

"Okay," he says, pushing the play button. 

The screen fills with red and seconds later, the camera zooms out to a red curtained stage. It swivels around showing members of the audience, before landing on Moms face. She's smiling.

"Okay, we're at Tyler and Quinn's talent show," she says, her voice a quiet whisper. Someone laughs beside her, and she positions the camera to them. Its me. 

"Do you think Quinn will puke in front of everyone," I say, smirking. 

She nudges my arm, laughing.

"Don't say that," she says, putting the camera back onto the stage. In the background there are voices, Owen and I, placing a bet if Quinn will be sick to his stomach on stage. 

I forgot that tough, outspoken Quinn used to have stage fright. 

Quinn gives Owen and I an ugly glare but I ignore it, watching the television. 

On stage, a teacher walks out with a microphone in hand. 

"Hello, ladies and gentlemen!"  She begins. "I would like to thank all of you for coming out today to support the baseball clubs talent show to support the boys and girls on their trip to Ottawa. First, we have Lauren and Scott, who are going to do a magic show!"

The two teens come out, both of them in wizards capes and hats with wands. Their skit is cute and the audience laughs along with them. 

"Very magical!" The teachers says, her voice too loud in the microphone. There's a loud shrieking feedback and the audience groans. "Ouch, sorry for that. Next, we have Quinn and Tyler doing a duet."

The teacher walks off the stage and the curtain opens, revealing Quinn and Tyler. Quinn is on the key board and Tyler stands a few feet away in front of a microphone. The camera zooms in on their faces before zooming out again. 

Tyler glances over at Quinn, who is pale in the face. He nods, signalling Quinn to start playing and raises he mic to his mouth. 

"Written in these walls are the stories that I can't explain," his voice belts out, clear and in harmony with Quinn. The crowd awes. He continues, smiling and taping his foot.

I leave my heart open but it stays right here empty for days

She told me in the morning she don't feel the same about us in her bones

Seems to me that when I die these words will be written on my stone

And I'll be gone, gone tonight