Locker Love - Story Version

A/N: This was the original story version of my entry for a Wattpad challenge to write a screenplay. I think it works even better as a story, so here it is!

Lori, May 26 2013

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The English Teacher - Movie Challenge

Wattpad has challenged its authors to write a comedy short story (1500 words or less) about high school love. Hey, I'm always up for a challenge! And if I can't get one funny romance story out of my high school experience, then what did I waste all those teenage years for? So without further ado, here is...

Locker Love - The Story Version

By Lori Ellis

Friday before a long weekend, and it's almost seven thirty. It's already dark outside. Everyone else left hours ago. Heck, most of the guys I know ditched class and left at noon. So what am I still doing at school?

Believe me, I never had any intention to stay here any longer than necessary. I had a history test last period, and if you knew me you'd realize that I need every mark I can get. At least in history anyway, so ditching was not an option. Then I got caught running in the halls which of course resulted in a half hour lecture from Mr. Hampton. Honestly, what's wrong with that guy? Doesn't he have some other place to be? Or is he just so in love with his own voice? What a laugh, like I might trip and hurt myself! Maybe he might fall and break a hip, but he's like forty or something.

So finally I'm free. The halls are empty and I'm walking to my locker when who do I come across but Tom Willard and his bunch of lowlife jock friends. Maybe you don't know these guys, but you know the type. Adored by teachers. Fawned over at awards ceremonies. Their mere appearance at a pep rally is expected to produce spontaneous applause. Your parents mention them at least once a week, like, "Why can't you be more like Tom Willard?" And yet every kid in school sees through all that and recognizes every one of these guys as a potential serial killer.

So of course I know they're up to no good. And now whatever they're doing after hours, hiding out in the school, I'm right in the middle of it. Hey, I usually don't want anything to do with these guys. They're not my kind of people, and I'm not theirs. But in circumstances like this, it can be very difficult to say no to them. So one thing led to another, and I'm not going to get into all the details but several hours later they're gone and I still haven't gotten to my own locker.

To tell the truth, it's been kinda nice since Tom and those guys left. Peaceful. The school is so quiet with absolutely no one around; I've just been standing here reading a book. I check my watch again and see it's quarter to eight. My parents are probably going to start wondering where I am if I don't get on my way home. But then I hear something.

Or someone. A bunch of someones, coming down the next hallway. It's a bunch of girls, I don't know how many but one of them is definitely Trisha Spencer so I can guess who the others are. Just my luck, I'd be happy to see anyone else. If Tom and his crew were girls, they would be Trisha and her group of psychopaths. I stand as still as I can, praying they don't spot me, when suddenly their loud laughter is punctuated by a thump against the lockers.

"So tell us what you're doing at the school so late!" I hear Trisha demanding.

"Working," I hear someone answer. "Working, on a science experiment." Lori Ellis! This was not good news. I hear all the girls start to laugh like deranged hyenas, as if this was the funniest thing they had ever heard. Brainer types like Lori bring out the Neanderthal in Trish and her kind for some reason.

"You don't believe in science, do you?" says one of the nasties. "Science is all about locking up monkeys in cages and torturing them and stuff!" This is followed by a round of yeahs and a locker thump.

"I don't torture monkeys," I hear Lori respond.

This was followed by a bunch of noises that are kind of hard to describe, mostly because I'm trying my best to forget. There was some hooting, and more hyena laughing, and lots more locker thumping. This went on for a while. I felt like a total creep for not helping Lori. I mean, I really wanted to help her, but what could I do?

"Let's see how you like being locked in a cage!" was the first coherent sentence I heard from the nasties throughout their tribal war rally.

The others seemed to agree with this idea, based on the increased level of hooting and locker thumping. Then I heard a series of sounds. The squeaking of a locker door opening. The distinctive sound of someone being shoved into a locker against her will. Another squeaking door sound, terminated by the click of a latch. The snap of a lock, and a bang as it falls against the metal door. And the last sound, which can only be described as the noise a flock of chickens would make if it were to briskly walk in the opposite direction.

It didn't take long for Trish and her fan club to be out of range, probably out of the building. Nice, leave someone stuck in a locker the Friday night of a long weekend. I mean, someone might come along to let her out, but maybe not!

I knew Lori, of course. She'd been in a lot of my classes since probably second grade. So of course I'd seen her around. I just couldn't remember if we'd ever spoken. I guess I just never had the opportunity. Hey, I guess this was an opportunity. I moved closer to her locker and spoke quietly.

"Lori?" I said hesitantly.

"Michael?" she asked, sounding very surprised.

"Yeah, it's me," I replied. "Are you okay?"

"Uh, yeah. Sure, just great! Yourself?" she said from inside the locker, in a perky tone of voice as if she really meant it. I couldn't help laughing. This was just like her. Lori was the girl who could always make the class laugh, usually on purpose but sometimes you weren't exactly sure.

"Okay, glad to hear it," I said. "Listen, Lori. Can I ask you something?"

"Now?" she asked.

"I guess so," I said with a shrug. "If, you know, it's okay with you."

Lori paused a moment before answering. "Sure, I'm not going anywhere," she told me.

"I was just wondering," I said nervously. "Have you got any plans for tomorrow? Because I was thinking, maybe we could get together. You know, go out, and do something?"

"Um, yeah. Sure," she replied, as if this was any normal conversation. "Sounds great. So Michael, is there any particular reason you're asking me this now?"

"Well," I said hesitantly. "I've wanted to ask you out before, but it never seemed like a good time."

"So this is what you would consider a good time?" she asked, her voice slightly muffled from within the locker.

"Yeah, I guess so," I answered. "I mean, it's not easy to ask a girl out. You know, look her in the face and ask her out on a date."

"Well, you certainly can't see my face," Lori said. "And I said yes. So I suppose this was just about the perfect moment for you."

"Yes," I replied, lost in thought for a moment. "Yes, this worked out really well. So can I pick you up around five?"

"Sure, that sounds good," she told me. She then continued, "Listen, Michael. If it's not too much trouble, I'd really appreciate if you could do something about getting me out of here? Please?"

"Oh, I'm sorry Lori," I had to say, really hating to disappoint her. "I wish I could, but no."

"Uhhh, well," said Lori, a bit unsure. "You're at least going to tell someone I'm here, right?"

"No, I'm not," I had to tell her. I hoped she would understand my regret from the tone of my voice. "This doesn't change anything, does it? You still want to go out with me, right?"

"Okay," she said with a puzzled tone. She was quiet for a bit, as if she was thinking. Then she continued, "I'm just a bit confused. Is there any particular reason you aren't helping me out of here?"

"It's just that," I said, pausing for a moment before telling her, "I'm in the locker next to you."