nulla. family lines

1983 : Volterra, Italy.

Looking to either side of him, Chris Eldridge could feel the lingering presence of vampires designated to keep him in place. He walked swiftly, the cold grip on his arms keeping him in time. Chris glanced up to see a detailed, wooden door being pushed open by his two vampire escorts to reveal a grand room.

The room was very artistic, it looked like it could have been in an ancient museum with its high ceilings, marble coating the majority of the room and the tiling details decorating both the floors and the walls. Chris made sure to keep his grip latched onto his belt of weapons laying beneath his jacket, only being in this setting for a short amount of time still gave him a slight shiver down his spine.

Right in his line of vision were three throne looking seats in which three porcelain skin men had taken residence. Decked out in black robes with their blood red eyes focused on the hunter who had just entered their home, all of their expressions said something different. A scowl was placed on the blonde vampires face, he looked as if he would kill anything foreign that came into the room, even though Chris Eldridge was only here to help. The vampire on the opposite chair with brown hair that hung down his back held a look of indifference, looking as if he couldn't care less about the situation. It was the man in the middle that interested Chris.

His face was gleeful upon seeing the hunter arrive, eyes that were a crimson red widened at the man coming towards him. His black hair was sleekly pushed back so it lay on behind his face, like the two other vampires he had ivory skin that on any human would have looked sickly.

Chris knew who the three were; Caius, Marcus and Aro. The three vampires who were seen as the law enforcers of the vampire world, along with their other coven members. The knowledge of the Volturi was something that Chris had learnt in his training, his father made sure to go into great detail about the bloodsuckers as he knew it would help him in this moment Chris had found himself in.

Aro rose from his chair, within seconds he was standing directly in front of Chris. His smile didn't leave his face as he directed the two vampires beside the hunter to back away with his hands, Aro's crimson irises met with Chris' green ones, "Chris, we have been awaiting your presence."

Nonchalantly, the nineteen year old hunter kept his hand close to the weapons he had under his jacket, "You did request that I come. Although you didn't have to send your minions, I would have come freely."

Chris looked over to the pair of burly vampires that had come to his home yesterday to escort him to Italy. Of course he had been anticipating their visit, the Eldridge bloodline had been involved with the Volturi for years now, it was only expected that Chris would carry on serving the ancient creatures. It was what he was trained to do, his father working specifically with him so that he could take over from him to protect the vampires.

Aro and the rest of his coven knew all too well what hunters were capable of, the species of humans -yet not entirely- had the capability and equipment to take down any vampire or werewolf no matter if they had attained gifts or if they were the oldest creatures in history. Keeping the most powerful line of hunter's within their coven made the Volturi stronger and it also meant that they wouldn't cause them any trouble.

Chris felt Aro's cold hand come to rest on his shoulder, "Welcome to the Volturi."

This was the young hunter's fate, to help these vampires rule the supernatural world. Chris had never been a fan of vampires, but he knew what this coven would do to him and his family if he didn't accept their offer, so that was exactly what he did.

Chris Eldridge was continuing the family line by joining the Volturi.

---

this is obviously a flashback to Haven's fathers past that interlinks with her story line in this book.