Chapter 30 Nemesis

Start from the beginning

***

Carefully she walked through the deserted building, a dagger ready in her hand. With Orochimaru, she wasn’t going to take any risk.
It was clear that he had been here. The question was, where was he now?
“Taryn Desertstorm,” a low voice said behind her.
Taryn moved fast and ended up behind him, a dagger at the nape of his neck.
Orochimaru chuckled. “It’s been a while. I expected you to show up last time, with the others.”  “Heh,” Taryn scoffed and lowered the dagger.
“He’s not here,” Orochimaru continued. He leaned against the wall and glanced at her.
“You were  here to kill him, right?”
Taryn raised an eyebrow. “Like Sai you mean?” she asked.
Orochimaru tilted his head and gave her an amused smile.
Taryn looked at him. “Why would Danzou want Sasuke dead?”
“Why indeed?” Orochimaru mocked.
Taryn narrowed her eyes.
Orochimaru chuckled at that. “Perhaps you should ask Itachi,” he suggested. He grinned at her. “He’s not going to come with you. Even his friends couldn’t persuade him to come back with them. What makes you think he’ll listen to you? He must hate you.” He eyed her curiously. “You must realize that.”
“I’m not here for Sasuke,” Taryn said. She raised her kunai dagger again.
“You’re not serious, are you?” he asked.
“Try me,” Taryn growled.
Orochimaru flashed forward but Taryn evaded him and hit him in the back with her flat hand. He whirled around and threw a wind attack at her.
Taryn got out of the way and made a few handseals. Fire formed around her and she cast it forward. He countered it with a water jutsu.
Taryn blew it away with a wind attack and charged forward with her Byakugan.
Orochimaru smirked. With a swift movement he grabbed her and pushed her against the wall, a hand around her throat. He chuckled softly. “Still not good enough.” He lifted his free hand, but before he could strike, Taryn dissolved into thin air. “A clone huh,” he mused, “clever girl.”
He looked up when he heard noises outside.
From a tree, Taryn jumped to the ground, followed by Kabuto. Immediately after he landed, he was thrown back by a large wind attack from Taryn.
Kabuto hit a rock with is back. Blood dripped from several cuts on his body. He threw a few needles at Taryn, which she cast aside, and started healing his injuries.
Taryn however didn’t give him much time for that. She charged at him with lightning around her arm.
Kabuto gasped when her fist went right through is stomach. “Heh,” he coughed, “you’ve learned some new tricks.”
Taryn saw a movement from the corner of her eye and she jumped away from Kabuto, out of reach of the lightning blade that was cast towards her.
A few feet away stood Sasuke. His eyes cold and his face emotionless.
“Seems I’m not the only one,” she said.
“You again?” Sasuke growled, “what do you want now? I told Naruto already. I have no intention of going back. I’ll do anything to get my revenge. You can tell him that.”
Taryn studied him for a moment. He had changed. He had become stronger. Perhaps he could even take her on now. He could take Itachi on now… The hate that burned within him made him dangerous. She glanced at Orochimaru. She wondered if he realized just how dangerous his precious ward was. Perhaps he could even… “I’m not here for you,” she told Sasuke, “stop making yourself so important.”
From the corner of her eye, she saw Kabuto’s surprised expression. She had noticed him giving nervous glances towards Sasuke. So he feared the boy. Then he turned to Taryn with a mocking grin.
“Then what were you here for?” he asked.
“Taryn was paying us a visit in an attempt to kill me,” Orochimaru smirked, “wasn’t that so? Hm? Taryn?”
“I was,” Taryn answered. She cast an amused smile towards Sasuke. “But I changed my mind.” She turned around and casually walked away, not noticing the calculating look in Sasuke’s eyes. Kabuto made to attack her, but Orochimaru stopped him with a gesture of his hand.
“You’re letting her walk away just like that?” Kabuto asked.
Orochimaru chuckled at his tone. “Ah. You never did get along with her, did you. Let her go. She’s not important.”
“Did my brother sent her?” Sasuke asked coldly.
“Sasuke,” Orochimaru mocked, “you really don’t know her that well do you? I have no doubt that she’ll report to him when she meets up with him, but she  had another purpose by coming here.” “Which would be?” Kabuto asked. He was still healing the wounds she had caused him. Orochimaru tilted his head. “Information,” he said.