Taryn watched the two charge at eachother. There was nothing she could do. She had no strength left. Her injuries finally made her body give in and she sunk to the ground. She saw how Naruto drew on the ninetails’ chakra and how Sasuke entered the second stage of the cursemark. They collided with a blinding flash and the sound of thunder made Taryn’s ears go deaf.
Clouds gathered and rain started to fall.
And then it was over.
Naruto lay on the ground unconscious. Sasuke stood over him and looked at him for along time. “Naruto,” he called.
There was no answer.
Sasuke flinched and grabbed his shoulder. Suddenly he buckled over and coughed up blood. He looked at Naruto one last time. And then he was gone.

Taryn slowly dragged herself towards Naruto and felt his neck. There was a faint heartbeat and she sighed relieved. He was still alive.
In the distance she heard approaching footsteps. “Kakashi,” she muttered and looked up at him. He looked at her with sad eyes. Pakkun appeared next to him. He sniffed the hitai-ate that was lying next to Naruto.
“It’s Sasuke’s,” he said.
Kakashi sighed and picked it up. He placed it on Naruto’s chest and lifted the boy in his arms. He glanced at Taryn. “Are you alright?”
She nodded. She was just tired. She took in his sad expression and averted her eyes. She knew how hard this must be on him. He had lost a student today and a second one had almost been killed.
She carefully crawled to her feet and stumbled for a moment.
Kakashi was staring out over the valley. “He’s gone, isn’t he?” he asked.
Taryn didn’t answer him, knowing he didn’t expect her to either way.
“The rain has stopped,” Pakkun noted, “the way it’s been pouring, we can’t track him now. Not by scent anyway. Besides, we’re better off taking care of Naruto than chasing after Sasuke.” Kakashi nodded sadly. “Yes…” He looked at Taryn who looked like she could fall over any second and she was holding her injured shoulder. “Can you walk?” he asked concerned, “I can’t carry both of you.”
“I’ll be fine,” Taryn whispered, “take him home. He gave it everything. He needs medical attention.” She gave a half-hearted smile. “I’ll be right behind you.”
“Are you sure?”
She nodded.
“Okay,” Kakashi said and headed for the village.
Taryn waited until he was out of sight and stared out over the valley. ‘One day I’ll keep my promise,’ Taryn thought to herself, ‘I promise you that.’

While Kakashi hurried through the forest, Naruto woke up. “Kakashi-sensei?” he muttered, “where’s… Sasuke?”
Before Kakashi could answer he was greeted by a medical squad. “Kakashi! How is Uzumaki Naruto?”
“He’s doing well enough,” Kakashi answered.
“Where is Sasuke?” another asked.
It was silent for a long time and Naruto’s eyes saddened.
The medics exchanged looks of understanding.
“What of the other Genin?” Kakashi changed the subject.
“Oh yes, “ a medic answered, “the lady Hokage dispatched medical squad one and two. They found the Genin in various places, all injured. They performed first aid and carried them back. Nara Shikamaru suffered minor injuries. Inuzuki Kiba took some deep lacerations, but his life is in no real danger. Hyuuga Neji and Akimichi Choji are seriously wounded. Their fates are unknown at the moment.”
“Taryn of Suna is behind me,” Kakashi said, “she’s injured. Someone should go see her and bring her to Konoha.”
One of the medics nodded. “I will go.” He disappeared into the forest.
“Come,” Kakashi said softly to Naruto, “let’s get you back to the village.”

In the hall just outside the OR sat two people on a bench. Shikamaru nervously fumbled with his fingers.
Across from him, on the other wall, Temari stared at him. “Come on,” she said, “it doesn’t help anyone working yourself up. With every mission comes sacrifice. You’ve had psychological training.”
Shikamaru glared at her. “There’s a difference between training and doing,” he said, “I’ve been on missions before… I thought I knew what it was t be a shinobi. I… this was the first time I was named team leader. It helped me realize… I’m not fit to be a shinobi.”
Temari snorted. “Look mister Delicate. You call yourself a man?”
Shikamaru stood up. “As a team leader. All I could do was put my trust in my team. I was so naive… inadequate for the task. This is all my fault.”
“So,” Temari said, “you’re afraid of getting hurt?”
Shikamaru hung his head and walked away without a word.
“So,” a voice said, “when a girl whips her tongue you turn tail?” He looked aside and found his father leaning against the wall.
“I don’t have the energy right now for quarrelling,” Shikamaru answered, “that’s all. I’m not a woman alright?”
“Of course,” his father answered, “but you’re not much of a man either. You’re a coward. Whether you’re here or not, the missions will go on. Someone has to carry them out. They’ll still send your friends, just under a different leader. It’s the way these things work. They’ll be no less likely to die then. But maybe if you’re their leader your friends will survive. If you really care about them, then instead of running away, you should set your mind to improving yourself. Isn’t that the way friends behave?! Milksop?!”
Temari’s eyes saddened for a moment as she noticed Shikamaru stiffen.
“Don’t be so harsh on him,” a new voice said.
Taryn limped down the hall towards them.
Shikaku glared at her. “He needs to understand that he can’t always take the easy way out.” “Admitting that you failed is never easy,” Taryn said, “this was only his first mission.” She looked at Shikamaru. “You made mistakes. You’re going to make a lot more in the future. Learn from them. Success doesn’t lie in numbers, not even in strength. You should know that. You’re a strategist. Did you really think you’d come back victorious? You were overconfident. Your friends got hurt and now you feel guilty. That is a mistake you won’t make again any time soon. But they put their faith in you too. Don’t disgrace them.”
Shikamaru stared at her as she walked to her sister. Carefully Taryn sat down on the bench and closed her eyes, leaning back against the wall.
“You look terrible,” Temari remarked.
“Then look the other way,” Taryn said.
When the door to the OR opened, Taryn opened her eyes. Tsunade walked out. “He’s okay now,” she said, “his medication had a side-effect that was eating away his healthy cells, but I found an antidote that worked. I thank you Shikaku.” She nodded at Shikamaru’s father.
“Lady Tsunade!” Shizune rounded the corner and wiped the sweat off her forehead. “Hyuuga Neji is out of the danger zone. And one more thing… Hatake Kakashi and Uzumaki Naruto just returned a moment ago. Naruto is injured, but his life is not in danger.”
Temari gave a faint smile while both Taryn and Shikamaru sighed in relief. “How about that,” Taryn said, “everyone survived.”
With his back turned on the others, Shikamaru cried. “Next time…” he said, “next time the mission will be perfect, I swear.”
“Next time I’m going to beat the crap out of that kid,” Taryn muttered. She felt Tsunade’s glare, but didn’t even so much as raise an eyebrow.
Tsunade sighed and shook her head. She would never understand this girl. “Come with me,” she ordered Taryn, “your shoulder needs looking after and I believe you have other injuries as well.” “They can wait,” Taryn said, “you have others to look after.”
“Those others are all out of danger,” Tsunade said, “you may order everyone around in Suna, in Konoha I’m in charge. With me. Now.”
Taryn rolled her eyes and followed Tsunade to her office.