Naruto remembered Taryn’s words. He understood better now.
“But Kakashi-sensei,” Sakura said, “if more people were to know the truth, they would trust her more, don’t you think? If they knew she didn’t do anything wrong?”
“Think on it,” Kakashi said, “if people knew why she was banished why would know her weak spot. And they would use it against her. Aside from that, there are people who don’t care about the reason. It is still a fact that she disobeyed orders. That on its own is treason enough.” “Gaara doesn’t know, does he,” Naruto said.
“No. He doesn’t.” Kakashi looked at his students. “So now you know.”
Naruto and Sakura nodded and turned to leave.
“Hey,” Kakashi said “this conversation doesn’t leave this room. Do you understand? You are to tell no one about it. Not even Sasuke.”
“But if Sasuke…” Sakura protested.
“Do you understand?” Kakashi repeated.
Both of them gulped and nodded.
Good,” Kakashi said, “now leave.”

***

When Taryn reached the village’s gates she was stopped by two Jounin. “Halt,” one of them said, “reveal yourself and state your business.” 
Taryn let down the hood of her cloak.
“Taryn-sama,” they gasped.
“I bring valuable documents from Tsunade, Fifth Hokage of Konohagakure for the Council of Sunagakure,” she said, “I’m expected.”
“O-Of course,” the first Jounin said, “we were informed. We just didn’t expect it to be so soon.” The second Jounin gave a slight bow. “Welcome home, Taryn-sama. Please forgive my companion. He has only risen to Jounin rank a few weeks ago.”
“I don’t mind,” Taryn said softly, “will the council see me?”
The Jounin nodded. “I will take you.”
She followed the man through the village, looking around at the buildings she knew from her youth. “Much has changed here,” she  said sadly.
“You’ve been gone a long time,” her guide answered. She nodded. “What is your name?” she asked.
“I am called Yamaru.”
“Yamaru,” Taryn said, “Has a new Kazekage been chosen yet?”
“No,” Yamaru answered, “the council has been ruling the village with your brother Kankuro. I believe they are waiting for your return to make any further decision.”
Taryn nodded. “Thank you,” she said.

They had arrived at the Council building. Yamaru bowed again and vanished. Taryn stared at the large doors and hesitated for a moment. The last time she had entered this building, her father had renounced her. And here she was again. She still knew the way and walked up the stairs to the council room.
She entered without knocking.
The twelve council members all looked up when she walked in. “Taryn-sama,” one of them addressed her. “We weren’t expecting you so soon. How was your journey? If you had sent a messenger bird to inform us about your arrival, we would have arranged for an escort to meet with you.”
“Perhaps I preferred a humbler return,” Taryn said. She would never have accepted an escort. She  wasn’t completely sure that all the council members were happy with her return. Accidents could always happen on a journey, even to well trained shinobi.
She stepped forward. “I bring negotiations from Tsunade, Fifth Hokage of Konohagakure.” She placed the scroll on the table. “Would anyone be so kind as to inform me what caused my father’s death?”
“It was Orochimaru,” one of the council members spoke, “disguised as our Kazekage he initiated the invasion plan.” He hesitated for a moment. “Since your father had been on bad foot with the late Hokage for some time, no one thought it strange. We sincerely regret not seeing through it. Perhaps your father could have been saved if we had, but all of us were misled.” ‘What good would it have done me had he lived?’  Taryn thought, ‘should I feel anything for the man who called himself my father? Perhaps I should, but I can’t find it at this time.’ She nodded at the man.
Another spoke. “We believe that your father the Kazekage was killed before he start of the Chuunin exams. We only discovered his remains after the attack. We will let someone take you to the gravesite later if you wish to pay your respects.”
Taryn nodded again. “Hai,” she said. She had forgotten that returning to Suna meant returning to formalities as well. Sometimes it was better not to serve any nation.

They all looked up when the doors were thrown open again. “What am I being summoned for this time?” an angry Kankuro said, “isn’t there anything you can solve without…” He stopped talking when he noticed Taryn. His eyes went wide and he let out a gasp. “Taryn,” he said while walking up to her with sturdy steps. He stopped in front of her and hesitated for a moment. “Kankuro,” Taryn stated calmly.
Then he pulled her into a bearhug. Taryn gasped stunned. “Good to have you back, sis,” he said.
After a moment of hesitation Taryn answered his hug and let out a sigh. “Good to be back,” she whispered as a tear slid down her cheek.