Chapter 14 Promises

Start from the beginning

***

“So what exactly is your problem with Sasuke Uchiha?” Neji asked while directing a punch at her.  Taryn blocked him and landed a blow against is shoulder. Neji’s arm went numb and he took a step back. “He’s an arrogant brat,” Taryn said.
Neji smirked. “I can’t argue with you there.” He blocked a kick from her, “but it seems more than that.” He eyed her carefully. He was old enough to know about her relation with Itachi Uchiha.
Taryn didn’t answer immediately. “Do you know why I was never branded with the Caged Bird?” she asked him. Neji shook his head confused. “Because my father refused it,” she told him, “he threatened with repercussions if they would dare to brand his daughter. He said branding me would make me one of them. He reminded them that there was blood of Suna running through my veins. That I was the daughter of the Kazekage. Marking me would be as if they were mocking him. He didn’t think about me. He only cared about himself. How something like that would reflect on him as Kazekage. That same father rejected me so easily only a few years later.”
“What does that have to do with Uchiha?” Neji asked.
“Nothing,” Taryn answered, “and everything.”
Her hand went to the mark in her neck. She turned around and walked over to the porch to sit down. Neji joined her with a thoughtful expression. “Answer me something,” Taryn said, “why did you hate Hinata?”
Neji closed his eyes. “I didn’t hate her,” he muttered, “I was just angry.”
“But you resented her,” Taryn said, “because you were marked by the Caged Bird and she was not. Because she belonged to the Main House and you to the Branch House.” Neji’s jaw tightened. “That wasn’t her fault. She didn’t do that to you,” Taryn continued.
“I know that,” Neji said stiffly.
“You still blamed her,” Taryn said, “sometimes we can’t help how we feel. There’s not always a reason and sometimes there are too many.”
She had seen it in Sasuke’s eyes. He was so full of hatred. He was determined to go after his brother and kill him. When she first came to Konoha she had just wanted to check on him, keep him away from Orochimaru as she had promised so long ago. When she had noticed the hate in his eyes, she knew it was too late. He had already decided and nothing she would say would make him change his mind. It would only drive him into Orochimaru’s arms sooner.
She knew something about hate. She saw a lot herself in Sasuke. Anger and determination. And yes, also hate. But no matter how much she hated her father, it was not enough to want him dead. She hated Sasuke because he was determined to get his revenge by whatever means. Even if it meant following someone like Orochimaru.
She hated him for his arrogance.
“Taryn.”
Taryn looked up. Lord Hyuuga approached them. Taryn and Neji both made to stand up, but Hiashi raised his hand to stop them. “No need for that,” he said, “have you two been training?”
Taryn nodded. “Yes we have.”
Hiashi nodded. “Very good.”
“Is something wrong sir?” Taryn asked.
He took out a scroll and handed it to her. “This came for you by messenger bird.”
Taryn stared at it confused. “For me?” A stamp form Suna marked the document. She looked at her uncle. “What is this?”
“It is addressed to you. I did not read it, but a similar scroll was set to the lady Hokage.”
Taryn stood up and walked a few paces away. She unsealed the scroll and opened it. It was a letter from her brother Kankuro. Her hands slightly trembled as she started to read.

Taryn,

I know that after everything that happened at the Chuunin Exams you’re probably still angry with us. We caused a lot of problems for you in Konoha.

Please believe me when I say we did not know Orochimaru was behind all of this. We were simply following orders. A letter of apology was already sent