Chapter 10

"Is there a reason that bloody lizard led us into the sewers?" Owen shouted as he glared down at the filthy water.

Murdar stopped walking and turned her flashlight back at him. "To get rid of us."

"You said to follow him." Jack spoke up from where he'd stopped at a split in the tunnels. "Well we did, now we're down here while Shylah could be dying!"

She glared at him. "Shouldn't you know where we're going? You live here you figure out how to get out!"

"Guys...?" Tosh interrupted the argument and pointed towards a tunnel. "Something down there just moved."

"Stay alert." Jack moved to the front, his gun ready to fire.

Murdar stood near the wall, twirling her knife in preparation for an attack, the red glow in the middle of the blade and on the handle stood out wickedly in the dark. Nothing moved as they watched the tunnel, though from the corner of her eye she swore a spiny web poked above the water to her left before disappearing again. Then the attack came from behind them as a large green-blue scaled Letifer Anguis erupted from the water, it wasn't as large as Serpens' height but it came very close as its dark black eyes glowered down at them, the webbing between its feet only made the claws look longer.

"Don't stand there, shoot it!" Jack shouted, firing his own gun.

Gunshots echoed off the walls loudly and the alien growled in response before using its powerful tail to knock them all to the ground. She winced at the impact and slowly started to get to her feet when a splatter of blood dropped to the ground beside her, turning her head she saw the wounded lizard staring down at her, the blue glow of her broken TARDIS reflected in its malevolent eyes. Murdar scooted back until she nearly slipped off the edge of the walkway and into the dirty water... she was trapped. Then another round of gunshots went off, distracting the beast as it went back for the others. She felt herself relax a bit before she jumped to her feet and ran down the tunnel it had come from, surely if she went that way it would take her to her friend.

More water washed up as a deep forest green and muddy brown-scaled alien broke surface and blocked her path. It acted intimidating but the monster was only up to her head in size, at five foot seven it didn't seem too scary compared to the others. Murdar held her knife threateningly before lunging forward, claws wrapped around her and she was shoved to the ground, for something so small it was strong. Sharp teeth pricked into her throat but she managed to free her arm before driving her blade into the ugly colored Letifer's throat. Blood ran out of the wound and her knife glowed a crimson red, a second later the creature fell to the side... dead. It was as she stood back up that she realized the fighting behind her had gone silent.

Murdar heard footsteps and got into a defensive position once more until the other three came into sight, mostly unharmed other than some bruising and small scrapes. She calmed her breathing before continuing to lead the way down the sewer, though she didn't know where they'd come out.

"You're going to get us all killed!" Jack shouted at her. "We need to stay together."

She turned around to glare at him. "What are you going to do? Make me? I do not work with Torchwood, you are not my leader."

"I can make you." He threatened.

"You can feel the tension." Owen smirked and walked past Jack. "Why don't you two actually just get it over with? Just kiss and make up like normal people!"