Chapter 14

Anyone but you, Robyn thought as she shlucked herself out of the cold, oozy mud. On wobbly legs she stood up to face her nemesis.

This was going to be bad. Very bad.

"Get out of my way, peasant!" Roger shouted.

Which only served to boggle Robyn all the more. And of course, as she stood there boggling, she kept not moving and Roger became even angrier.

Did he not recognize her?

Not even a little bit?

"Idiot!" He shoved her in the shoulder and sent her sprawling into Joan and Marion, knocking them all over like dominoes.

Joan whispered in her ear, "Want me to smash him?"

"Wait –"

Mother Eleanor piped up, "Don't you push my daughter around!"

"Do not stand in the way of the Sheriff of Nottingham's business!" Roger said as he stormed past. A straggly gang of young men followed him, ignoring Eleanor's protests.

Bella made a bovine moan as they jolted her on their way out. Poor Bella. Why were people so horrible to cows? They gave so much milk and asked so little in return.

All things considered, that was a lucky escape. They might not be so fortunate next time. As soon as Roger and his team were gone, Robyn scraped off the biggest clods of mud from her tunic and skirts and went to the cow's aid.

That's when she noticed the moving lump of sheepskin in the back of the wagon. "You can come out now Ellen, they're long gone."

Ellen peeked out from underneath. "I wasn't hiding. Honestly. But I thought it would be best if I stayed out of the way."

"Of course you did."

With Roger and his men gone, Wilfred guided them through the gates and inside the protective walls of Sheffield Castle. It was dark and difficult to see their way clear. The larger buildings leaked golden light from open fires burning in the hearths inside.

Wilfred pointed and said, "Head towards that building, The Goose and Bridle, that's the best place to get lodgings. But don't eat the food, if you know what's good for you. Best place for vittles is The Unicorn."

Creasing her brows, Robyn asked, "Then why don't we stay at The Unicorn?"

"Because they haven't washed the blankets since I was in swaddling," Wilfred said as he rubbed his swollen eyes.

"Thanks for the tip," Robyn reached into her pocket and drew out another coin.

Wilfred snatched for it, but suddenly Robyn held back, a better idea forming. "You get this when we're on the way out. It will work out best for everyone if we're not harassed."

They stared at each other in understanding. Wilfred rubbed his sore eyes again and said, "Sounds to me like you might need a guide. Y'know, to make sure you stay out of trouble and don't get harassed."

Robyn smiled. "And what about your job as a gate keeper?"

Wilfred shrugged. "Godwin will wake up eventually. And you pay better."

"Godwin's the other guard?"

He nodded.

Robyn chuckled and said, "OK then."

"Good, now let's get these horses in for the night." Wilfred said as he scratches his eyebrows.

"I don't like this," Marion said to Robyn as Wilfred lead the horses into the barn behind The Goose and Bridle. "How do we know he's not leading us into a trap. Or trying to steal the horses?"