chapter 23 : Draco

You would think that seeing my ex, whom I had been so passionately in love with at one time, kissing some stupid Gryffindor kid would bother me, but to tell you the truth, I didn’t feel a thing. Not a God damn thing. It was also amazing that I didn’t feel a thing when she pulled away and had an obvious look of like on her face. She was falling for Robbie, the guy who had decked me a good one. She was totally falling for him, and I could tell. I could tell that Robbie was having the same feelings as well because he was smiling down at her. She suddenly pushed him away and turned to Hanna.

“See!” she said before running off ahead of all of us towards the castle.

Robbie glanced back at me before running after Pansy. “Wait up, Pans!”

“What the hell was that all about?” Blaise asked as he put his arm around Bella, having moving from beside me to over by his new girlfriend. “I mean, I though Pansy was still in love with Draco?”

“Obviously, she is, but she’s trying to break Draco and Hanna up by fooling around with Hanna’s ex. It’s totally not working though because Hans and Draco are so in love. Nothing can break them up now. Nothing,” Bella said, not totally having her heart in those very words and catching my eye.

She suspected that something was up still, didn’t she? After she saw me with Crabbe and Goyle in their girl disguises, she started being all strange towards me. My guess was that she believed that I was cheating on her, but I could never do that. I loved Hanna too much to hurt her in anyway, which is why I can’t break up with her. I can’t do what Snape said. I know that I should, but I just can’t do it. It would hurt her too badly. I just can’t do that to her.

“I agree with you that she started this whole thing with Robbie with those intentions,” I smirked, entwining my fingers with Hanna’s. “but it’s grown into a lot more than that. Did you see the looks on their faces?”

Hanna nodded. “They’re totally smitten!” she shrieked. “Who would’ve thought? My ex and your ex together? Madly in love like us. That would be so cute!”

I smiled at how cute she was. I was about to say so as well when we entered the castle and ran into someone I really didn’t want to see. The expression on his face told me everything that I needed to know. He wanted to talk to me, and he wanted to do it right then and there. With a sigh, I peeled myself from Hanna and followed him to his office.

“Look, Snape,” I said as soon as the door was closed. “I know what you’re going to say, but I can-“

“Explain? You better have a damn good reason. What I saw up there? Well, let’s just say you have love written all over your face. Have you even done anything towards your mission?”

I nodded. “Of course I have. I believe that I’ve figured out how to fix that bloody stupid cabinet. It’ll just take time-“

“Not that part of the mission,” he said, anger really teaming in his voice.

I looked away from him. “No, I haven’t really done anything about that part. I have thought about it though, but everytime I do,” I winced as my stomach churned, “my stomach hurts just thinking about it. I’m not cut out for this Snape. How am I supposed to kill the greatest wizard that has ever been? Answer me that, Snape, because I have no idea what the fuck I’m doing, and that’s the honest truth.”

I tried to catch my breath from what I just said. I couldn’t believe that I was just unloaded all of my worries about the mission like thatout onto Snape of all people. He was being awfully nosey about my business lately, did he just want to steal all of my glory? Did he want to plant the plan into my head and then take the credit for it? Or did he just want to take over from here and take everything that I have to do in order for my family to stand on good terms with the Dark Lord? That was it. I hated Snape, and I didn’t need him to tell me what to do. So, I stood and made for the door.

“Where do you think you’re going, Draco? I’m not through with you just yet,” Snape said in that God awful voice of his that I was just so tired of.

I turned to face him. “I’m tired of you,” I said truthfully, staring him down in the eyes. “He gave me this mission to do on my own, and I will do it on my own with no help from you. I didn’t ask for your advice, and I will not take it.”

“But if you don’t, he will find out about her one way or another. She’s not like other girls, Draco-“

“I know that. Why do you think I’ve fallen in love with her? She’s the exact opposite of what I’ve been chasing after all these years at Hogwarts. She is completely right for me, and you know it, Snape.”

“I am completely sure that I know that, Draco, but you’ve got to understand. The Dark Lord would never approve of Hanna for you. There’s something that you have to know, Draco-“

“What is there to know? So, she’s in Gryffindor. The Dark Lord will just have to get over that simple little fact, okay? Besides, who says that he’s going to find out about her in the first place? Huh?” My hand was on the door knob, itching to turn it and just walk away from him. What is he trying to say? That she’s not good enough for me? Well, she is. I’m not good enough for her.

“Draco, just calm down for a minute and let me tell you what you need to know,” he said, approaching me. “You need to break it off with her or you’ll be in even more of a pit with your family. You’ll also bring severe consequences for her. If you love her, you will not be with her. Don’t get close to her distance yourself away from her, Draco. You have to understand that the Dark Lord doesn’t take kindly to-“

“I don’t care with he has to say about it. It’s not his life, it’s mine. He’ll just have to get over it and-“

“Draco! Listen for on damn minute, would you? He wouldn’t approve of Hanna because she’s a-“

“I don’t care, Snape. So, save it for someone who does,” I said, slamming the door behind me.

The whole time Iwalked down the hallway I thought about how Snape was right. I really did need to break it off with her. I didn’t need to bring her into this whole dark mess. I didn’t even want to be in it myself. I didn’t want to see her hurt, but it would be worth it if it saved her life – and mine in the process. The only thing I had to figure out then was how to break it off with her before things got too deep.