Chapter 1

I believe that everything happens for a reason, some are harder to understand at the time but always works out for the best. This is my story of a significant summer of a string of events, all of which happened for a reason. The strongest reasons there are, and that was when I realized what those were as we kissed at the show and he held me at the waist embracing every second to the next. He had a soft touch, gentle and I knew everything he said was like a promise. Well, actually let’s start from the beginning.

           In the end of March, things were different and more complicated. My eyes opened to a new being of the world, realizing much more. Mainly that my boyfriend of 10 months wasn’t what I wanted any more. Though the thought of how I’d tell him never occurred to me, but today was not the day, it was the last day before spring break. Fridays were happy days that couldn’t be ruined, though mine already had been rough.

            2:25 five minutes. My heart picked up speed and I prepared myself for when the bell yelled “go home!” I’d be ready to make a quick escape. The bell’s about to ring, just take your things, go to your locker, and get what you need then straight to the track! Loudly, the bell screamed, getting up in sync with the rest of the class and racing for the door. I was then exposed in the hall, looking around for Alex thoughts beaming through my mind, I don’t see him, seems clear. I felt a little better but knew I’d need to be quick. Taking a sharp left to the side of the hall that held my locker. Passing people as someone gripped the edge of my books and pulling them out of my hold. All I could do is watch them as they fell to the ground, creating a sea of papers with scratched writing covering them. My heart dropped looking down at them in desperation.

            Bending down to gather the papers to myself, as my back met a pair of legs covered in familiar khaki pants. Looking up to see a familiar face, Alex, damn.

            “You like dropping your stuff all over, don’t you?” He said smiling down at me, watching as I rose to my feet. And at that moment, I felt guilty; he hadn’t known I didn’t want to see him. He was clueless, but I knew.

            “Yeah I love it.” I answered slowly, unenthusiastically keeping my head down to avoid eye contact that would make unwanted thoughts approach.

            “I’ll get them” he bent down and started scooping up papers as I stood collecting my items from my locker ready for a quick getaway. Alex nudged my arm telling me with no words to turn around to claim my clump of papers.

            “Thanks” I said as I pushed them into my locker to be sorted at a later time. His eyes came up and met mine, preparing his words.

            “Are you okay?” I looked away, and closed my locker spinning the lock until it clicked, then looking at the brightly colored track sign. ‘Blinky’ in purple letters set on a gray background splattered with neon colors with the small tiger below it.

            “Yeah,” I started replying to him,” I just need to go get my bag.” Starting to walk away I heard footsteps following me.

            “I have to lift for football so I’ll walk you there.”  Turned the corner of the long hall to my favorite teacher’s room that held my bag. Great. I thought as I walked at a quicker pace. The whole two minute walk, we were silent, not touching and awkward. Finally approaching the door that would be my get away from him, I turned almost into the room. My pace then halted by a hand grabbing mine.

            “I know things have been rough lately, but I just want you to know,” his voice fading away as I slowly turned facing him with sharp eyes. That’s when the words slipped out of his mouth, “I love you.” My face dropped and my heart increased speed to where I thought it was going to jump out of my chest. Staring at him with no words able to be produced, the only thought that could come to mind was, damn.