Chapter 2

AN/ This chapter's a bit shorter, sorry finals have me flopping around like a chicken with its head cut off. Anywhoo comments are really appreciated. I would love to allow you guys to have a little say in how Ruben and Arabella’s story continues so please tell me what you think! I apologize in advance for this story’s ummm… colorful dialogue. I want to make their story as realistic as possible and being a teenager myself, trust me there can be no realistic teen interactions without a little profanity but I will * star out the middle of the ‘dirty words’. Enjoy.

***********************************************

Located directly off the building's west wing, the office was relatively easy to locate. A plump brunet sat behind a long desk gingerly patting her perm into place. Taking a seat in a pair of aluminum folding chairs adjacent to the door, Arabella tugged her shirt down over her midriff where it had ridden up. Not taking her eyes off the compact mirror in which she examined herself, the brunette slid a set of schedule cards across the table.

“I take it you two are new, Arabella it is right? Your father called earlier. Take your cards and head strait to first period your teachers are expecting you,” the woman explained briskly. She grabbed the cards and motioned for Dalia to follow her out into the hall.

“What’s your first period?” Dalia nearly poked my eye out as she snatched both cards out of my hand to compare the two together. Her nose wrinkled and she snorted before tossing her card back.

“We don’t share a single damned class,” she gave a dejected sigh before making her way down the hall.

“How are we supposed to find our classes? They didn’t give us a pier guide or anything.” Arabella studied the numbers above the doors, none of which matched her first period class.

 Dalia let out another snort and shook her head in disbelief. “Princess Arabella, come on its not that hard the door numbers go up as you head to the back of the hall. Odd numbers on the right, even on the left.”

  Arabella glanced down at her schedule, classroom 123 first period Biology. She repeated the number over in her head a few times before waving Dalia good-bye and racing off to find her own class. By now the halls were abuzz with chatter and Arabella had to weave her way through throngs of lounging teens.

 A bell tolled and the halls began to empty as kids raced off to their perspective classes. Ten minuets passed and Arabella had yet to locate classroom 123. Tears of frustration stung her eyes as the final bell rang, signaling the start of the period. It was another five minuets before Arabella rounded a corner and spotted the class.

 She was filled with an overwhelming sense of dread as she approached the closed door. Testing the lock, she rattled the handle before sinking to a crouch beneath the doorjamb. The sound of a clearing throat brought her back to reality. Startled, Arabella tipped her head back as was met with a pair of vibrant green eyes much like her own. Flustered and embarrassed to have been caught in such a compromising position, she slung her backpack over her shoulder and hopped to her feet with averted eyes. Arabella gave a silent nod of thanks to whoever had opened the door and shuffled to her seat with downcast eyes.

 “I assume you are Arabella, please take a seat in the second to last lab station, you will see me after class for your detention,” a stately bond woman sounded out from behind a large oak desk which took up the vast majority of the first row.

 Her chair let out a deafening screech as she attempted to situate herself atop the tall stool. Heat flamed Arabella’s cheeks as she pretended to examine her nails for chips. It was no sooner than she ran out of imperfections to inspect, that a pair of sneakers came in to view beside her. She felt the stranger’s hot gaze assessing her bedraggled appearance.