Chapter 2: Charles, Flower Boy

Charles whistled to himself as he tended the large garden that was secluded behind his home and business.

"Good morning little guys," he murmured out loud to his plants, "It's a good day ain't it?"

The soft rustle of leaves greeted him in return. It had taken him a year to properly groom his garden. Roses of all colors grew on the side, followed by rows of Asiatic lilies, peonies, Canadian lilacs, and rosa rugosa. He smiled to himself, cutting away the weeds that seem to grow from his garden every day.

He was a quiet man, who owned the only flower business in the small Alaskan town. Orders were made everyday and he alone made the flowers and took them to the surrounding areas. He enjoyed handling his own business, meeting  new faces and greeting old ones.

He smiled to himself remembering how Vulbogiô, Sam's husband, had ordered a vase of flowers for their seventh anniversary. He was kind to Sam, showering her with his love along with their son that was the apple of their eye. Charles longed for his own woman to love but none of the women here were interested in a man who had a passion for flowers. The majority of the female population were attracted to the mountain men, with their scruffy beards and muscles. He was simply a lean man with no ability to grow facial hair and glasses that rested above his nose.

His phone vibrated in his pocket, after removing his gardening gloves he answered, "Charles Miles."

"Hello Charles," his mother's soothing voice said through the speaker, "Just checking on my little boy."

He groaned internally before answering, "I'm doing well mom, just fixin' up the garden. What about you? How's the Bahamas?"

He heard her chuckle on the other side, "Your father and I are having the best time of our lives. The sun here feels so good and the water is simply divine!"

He chuckled quietly to himself, "I can tell mom, you seem to be enjoying your retirement."

"Of course! Which reminds me, when are you going to introduce us to your future wife and mother of your children?" his mother said, her voice laced with mischief.

"Mom!" he gasped, "I don't have the time nor the looks for a girlfriend."

"Nonsense," she scolded, "My son is a nice young handsome man who can raise a good family."

He sighed softly, he hated letting his mother down, but grandchildren didn't seem to be in the near future.

"It's alright mom. Sorry but I have to go, got to take some flowers to a few customers," Charles lied.

"Alright Charles, don't think I'm stupid enough to see through your little white lies. Sooner or later your father and I will be sitting with you and have a nice long talk about your future," his mother stated before hanging up.

"Huh," he said out loud, tenderly touching the velvet petals, "Mom wants grandkids already, and I don't even have a girlfriend."

Charles shut his eyes, ears listening to the soft spring breeze that passed through his beloved garden. However his moment of serenity was interrupted by a high pitched scream and a crash.