Chapter 1: Rümvo, The Huntress

Rümvo's sharp teeth sunk themselves into the cäih's dead flesh, cooked to medium rare, just the way she liked it. She felt the juices slid down her chin before wiping it away with the sleeve of her shirt. Rümvo would be spending the cold night far from the kingdom due to hunting ran later than expected. She didn't mind, life at home was no longer friendly towards her.

She never knew her mother, a woman who died during childbirth. Her father, Frentú, raised her like a man would with a son until he decided to remarry.

Her new stepmother was kind at first, with a gift for making jewelry, a decent amount of income into the household. However, her father insisted for her stepmother to teach her the ways of a woman but her efforts were futile. Rümvo never learned how to act like a delicate maiden, her personality continuing to mimick her father's.

Simply thinking about her father brought tears, pricking the corners of her black eyes at the memory of last day she saw her father alive.

"Papa! Take me with you!" Rümvo cried, taking her father's rough hand into her small one while her other hand held her bow and a single arrow.

Frentú shook his head and kneeled in front of her, placing a soft kiss on her head, "Not today daughter, this hunt is for men only."

Tears threatened to spill down her cheeks, "Next time papa?"

"Next time daughter," Frentú said, pulling the young girl in his arms.

It wasn't till after that fateful day when she realized her father had gone to war with the neighbouring kingdom. She and stepmother waited for days until Prince Vulbogiô arrived at their home, bearing the news of her father's death. Frentú's ashes were brought in a small vase, his bow made of black crystal on top. Her stepmother never treated her the same after his death and quickly married another man, without mourning her father's death. Now in her own home she was a aberration, an orphan with no blood relatives. Since the death of her father she dedicated herself in becoming a good huntress, using her father's bow and bringing food into the village on the outskirts of the kingdom.

Rümvo quietly tended the fire, her cave providing protection from the unforgiving cold winds. Her fur blanket, wrapped around her lithe body, warming her white skin. Taking a piece of the meat from the dead cäih she had bought down in the afternoon. She threw the heavy piece towards Drúa, her drükken, who quickly swallowed it whole. Rümvo and Drúa weren't close friends but they knew that each one depended on the other.

"Well Drúa, what do you say we turn in for the night?"

The flying serpent grunted, resting it's two heads on the ground, coiling it's body around her, both sharing their warmth.

A growl came from Drúa's scaly mouth as if to say, When will we be returning home?

"Tomorrow Drúa. I just hope we arrive before the midday meal," she murmured sleepily, clutching her fur blanket to her chest, her thoughts wandering over the anniversary of her father's death.

***

When Drúa and Rümvo landed at the village, the square was filled with people whose face held worry and confusion.

Sliding off Drúa's back she neared the crowd with curiosity, "What's going on?" she asked the individual nearest to her.

The man looked at her, slightly disgusted by her rugged appearance. She couldn't blame him, a female huntress was frowned upon and with her filthy fur clothes it was disgusting to society. She did care about her appearance but when it came to hunting and survival, how one looked was to be put aside.

"The Crown Prince Vulbogiô has been charged of treason," the man said, "Now he's gone missing, the King has sent search parties for him and threatens to hang anyone who helps him. Gods know what the poor boy did to his father," the man shook his head walking away.

Prince Vulbogiô! What happened to him? Her own mind rattled as to how trouble found him. It was only two nights ago that the entire kingdom had gone to celebrate the King's birthday. The Prince had left early, much to the eligible maidens disappointment.

Making her way back to Drúa, she removed her kill from her back, only for her attention to be caught by a man standing high above the crowd.

"Attention! Please report anyone who was missing from the hours of the highest moon!"

Her muscles stiffened slightly, she hated reporting her hours. Looks of disgust always found her, despite the fact she was the one feeding the villagers.

"That woman!" a man pointed at her, "She spent last night far from the village."

Suddenly two guards took her by the arms, "What? What's going on? I swear I did nothing out of the law!" she cried.

"You will be hanged and tried for treason," the announcer said. The entire crowd fell silent, their black eyes accusing.

"I did nothing!" she cried again, trying to prove her innocence.

But her cries fell to deaf ears.

Out of nowhere, a large piece of fruit slammed against her cheek, dousing her furry clothing with red juices. Rümvo barely had the chance to recuperate from the attack when other pieces of fruit fell on her.

"Traitor!" the word echoed through the crowd. The guards stepped away, letting her suffer the unjustified punishment take over.

However a large roar was heard, her drükken, Drúa, had raised on her hind legs it's sharp teeth bared and pounding the ground.

Screams were heard as the villagers ran from the evident danger.

Seizing the opportunity she dashed onto Drúa's back, the drükken taking off into the air in a speed Rümvo never knew Drúa could reach.

Glancing behind her two drükken were in pursuit, their riders drawing their arrows. Grabbing her own bow, she turned facing behind her and used the skill her father taught her, and let the arrow fly. The drükken spiraled out of the sky as one wing flapped painfully with an arrow in a damaged wing. The injured drükken trying land with a single wing.

The second drükken remained in pursuit, it's wings flapping with a deadly grace.

"Oh Drúa faster!" she pleaded, Drúa puffing as her own wings flapped tirelessly. She glanced at the rider whose arrow was drawn, aiming straight at her heart. The arrow flew but Rümvo moved towards the right, dodging the arrow. However she cried out in pain, glancing down at the arrow that protruded her arm. Glancing at the archer, fear beating in her heart, as the archer readied another arrow. However the drükken was suddenly held back by it's rider, a loud roar coming from his serpent mouth.

A small glimmer of relief filled her being until she saw where Drúa was headed.

Rising from the snow like a foreboding presence that frightened the children with it's horror stories. A place forbidden to enter by the royal family centuries ago.

The Cursed Palace.