Chapter Two

After the young Mitchell's conversation with his father ended, he threw his phone into the water. I remained stationary, watching the expensive piece of technology sink to the bottom of the ocean.

No doubt Melinda will find it.

"Jesus Christ," the boy grumbled and ran his hands through his dark hair. "I'm not in the mood for my sick mind games so if you are here to kill me you're just gonna have to wait your turn," he said again.

I craned my neck up to look at him. He was sitting between the metal rails looking down at me with a dull, tired expression.

"What messed up hallucination have I come up with this time?" He asked to himself.

I cocked my head, confused. "I am real and you are wrong."

The young Mitchell gave a scornful laugh. "I definitely believe that."

I studied his face intently. Green eyes stood out against his tan skin and brown hair. His cheekbones were prominently displayed and complemented his angular face. He looked crazed, deranged almost.

I paused for another moment before saying, "I can kill your father."

An amused smile spread across the man's face. "I'm sure you can, but then I wouldn't be able to."

I grinned at his sadistic manner. "My name is Mara."

"Well Mara, what are you doing in my hallucination? Come here to kill me?" He looked down at me and raised an eyebrow.

I was slightly surprised that he had caught onto me. Usually they're just too caught up in their desires to see how badly I wanted to slaughter them.

"Yes," I answered, pulling my wet hair over my shoulder.

"Great," he snorted and pulled his legs up so they weren't hanging over the water.

"Aren't you going to tell me your name?" I asked impatiently and furrowed my eyebrows.

"Not yet. I want to know how you're going to kill me," he demanded.

I huffed. "If you must know, I compel you sink your boat and then I feed on your fear. Sometimes I like to harvest the soul, but most of the time it's just too tainted. It's disgusting, really," I sidetracked.

"You're sick," the young Mitchell replied, a revolting look plastered on his face.

"No, I am not sick. I am in perfect health for a supernatural creature. My temperature is one hundred and twenty degrees, the average temperature of my kind." I continued, "but yes, in a metaphorical way I am sick."

There was a pause in the conversation and all that was to be heard was the lapping of waves against the boat and the occasional cry of a seagull.

"Tell me your name," I demanded.

Distrust flickered across the young Mitchell's features. Hesitation was clear in his eyes and a wave of impatience passed through me.

"I can force you to tell me your name, but it won't be fun. Well, for you at least. I would take much joy from it," I laughed.

He remained silent.

"I could rip your ear offend feed it to a crab. Or I could cut-"

"Zander, for God's sake, my name is Zander," he spit out and I smiled in triumph.

"You humans," I sighed. "You think the most valuable thing is your name. You're wrong. It's your soul."

I shot out from the water and grabbed the metal railing of the yacht. A strangled cry escaped Zander's mouth as I used him as leverage to pull me up on deck.

"What the hell!" He cried, gaze locked on my tail. 

"I don't know what you expected, but you must be very dumb witted as to think that it was anything other than a tail," I laid back on the deck, listening to Zander's racing heart and his labored breathing.

I sighed and closed my eyes, basking in the sunlight. I didn't get to see if much anymore. A few moments later, I sensed Zander's hand making it way to touch my tail.

"Unless you have rubbing alcohol or hydrogen peroxide on hand, I suggest not touching me. If my tail draws your blood you'll get an infection that will kill you in less than four minutes."

Zander's heart beat picked up even more, if that was even possible, and the presence of his hand quickly receded.

"What are you?" He asked.

At the end of his question I opened my eyes, puzzled. "I don't know what I am. I'd say I'm more siren than anything."

"What's that's supposed to mean," he questioned again.

"You humans are so uneducated on the supernatural," I said, beyond annoyed. How stupid can he be?

"We're not educated on them because they don't exist," he shot back.

"They don't exist? I'd like you to explain me then, Zander Mitchell," I rolled my eyes and sat up.

"I-I can't," he sputtered.

In a split second I latched onto Zander's arm, digging my fingers unto his flesh and dove into the water with him in tow. He flailed his limbs uselessly- human instinct I guess- when we hit the water.

I pulled him under the surface with me and turned him around so his back was flush against my chest. I wound my tail around his legs to stop in from kicking and locked my left around around his neck.

Zander's hands scratched at my forearm, trying to free his neck. In my opinion he was over reacting, I wasn't even choking him.

I started humming, putting Zander in a trance that halted his struggles. We floated to the surface and Zander took huge gulps of air.

He choked and sputtered on the water that he inhaled. This human was extremely dumb, he knows he cannot breathe under water, so why did he try?

"Stop toying with me. Just kill me already," Zander wheezed out between coughs.

I was taken aback. No man has ever begged for their death- their life, yes- but not their death. What a peculiar human.

"Kill me!" Zander screamed, is voice hoarse.

"Now what would be the fun in that, dear human?"

----------------------

OH MY GOSH. I'M SORRY. I'M SORRY. SCHOOL IS KICKING MY BUTT.

WORD OF ADVICE: DO NOT TAKE ALL HONORS CLASSES UNLESS YOU WANT TO CRY AT LEAST TWICE A WEEK.

I HAVE SO MUCH IN STORE FOR THIS STORY, BUT IT'S GOING TO BE SLOWLY UPDATED UNTIL WINTER BREAK.

THANK YOU FOR STAYING AND READING

~SAVANNAH