Chapter 12: Cosplays

Start from the beginning

"..Good. Let's hope you don't screw this up then." The girl, Bridgette, said. She sounded content with what the other person said. The conversation between them came to an end. Then I heard footsteps coming my way.

                       I backed away, anxious. I sidled against the wall, making myself as invisible as possible. I saw the girl. She was taller than me and had strawberry blonde hair, but that was just about all that I could make out of her figure. She blended with the shadows.

For one, intense moment, she stopped. Cold sweat dripped down the side of my face as I try not to move or make a sound. I thought she saw me. But thankfully, she continued to pass me by and go straight ahead. Once I was sure she was far off, I exhaled the breath that I unconsciously held. I needed to find BEN and get out of here. Or not. He probably went the same way as that Bridgette girl had gone to.

I was getting away quietly until my feet landed on something soft and delicate. The cat from earlier hissed and ran off, toppling over a trash bin. It's metal cover rolled away. I cringed and face-palmed at my own carelessness.

I panicked and tried to calm the cat down. "Shhh..!" I shushed it. I looked back into the dark alley to see the fading outlines of what I presumed to be the boy who was speaking. I gasped and scrambled to my feet, dropping my bag in the process. But I was too afraid to stop evem for just a moment.

"Wait!" The figure whisper-shouted, but I didn't stop to turn around. I hoped that he didn't see my face, he probably didn't. He stood there. He just seemed to reach for me in his spot and withdraw his hand slowly when I started to run away.

                       I didn't pay attention to where I was going. I merely followed the crowd of people ahead of me. If the guy was following me, he'd probably lose track of me already. Oh god, how horrible would it have ended if I got caught.

Now, I was in an unfamiliar part of town. There were so many people and street decorations around that I couldn't recognize where I was exactly. I turned and tried to re-trace my steps. But I ended up doing the opposite. I found myself around a crowd of people who surrounded a stage. And on it was several cosplayers with authentic costumes. Among them was River, confidently looking ahead in a proud stance- this must be what she was talking about earlier. The cosplay contest.

I tucked my phone into my pocket, not wanting to lose it. I stopped running and panted. God, I didn't even know I was already tired of running.

                      "We have so many great contestants among us! I'm sure the judges will have a very difficult time choosing the winner this year!" A man around his 30's enthusiastically said, his voice booming from the speakers. The crowd replied with even more excited howls and cheering.

"You know the drill, folks! Let's move on to the-" The man immediately halted as a loud screeching noise erupted from the speakers. Everyone, including me, cupped our ears to try to block out the ear-splitting sound. Some groaned and hollered at this.

                      "Whoops. Sorry about that, everyone," A voice, a different one, apologized as soon as the screeching noise subsided. I looked up the stage to see a younger male holding the mic. He wore a formal white coat with red trimmings. He had Ashen hair and a kind face with a some-what dainty look to him. Everyone exchanged looks of confusion and relief. Even the man on the stage was baffled.

"Ahem. Now, on behalf of the sponsors of this wonderful event, I will be picking our lucky winners that will win free backstage passes!" He announced. He scanned the crowd with his eyes. It was now darker, and they turned on the spot lights. Almost randomly, a spot light shone on shone on a girl.