nineteen

"You what?" I exclaim, sitting on the edge of Mike's bed taking all this new information in.

"She only meant for Alison to get hurt by this. Not dragging Hanna into it too" Mike says sitting a little too closely to me.

"So you're telling me that Mona faked the whole thing?"

"She'd been storing up her blood for months. She wanted to get back at Ali."

"Why didn't you just tell me?" I say in shock.

"I only found out the day she left what her whole plan was. She made me swear not to tell anyone. Not even you."

"Not even your best friend?"

"She's my girlfriend Mackenzie" Mike tries to reason.

"You lied to me. You told me you didn't know where she went."

"I didn't know! I don't know where she is!" Mike says defensively. "I just know that she was planning to leave and that she did."

"Oh and she was going to make it look like one of my best friend's did it" I mock.

"I'm your best friend" Mike says sadly.

"I'm not so sure of that right now" I stand up, crossing my arms over my chest.

"Kenzie please, you know I would have told you if I could!"

"You could have!" I almost shout. Tears brim my eyes but I will them back down. "Where is she Mike?"

"She's in Rosewood somewhere" He informs me. "At least that's where she said she'd be"

"And what's that supposed to mean?"

"She disappeared so that she could track down A without A noticing," he stands up to face me. "Now I'm not so sure if A didn't notice"

"You're saying you think A has Mona?"

"I don't want to think it but yes. I think A has her and I think A is going to kill her." Mike breathes out heavily. "A's killed before- Garrett, Wilden, almost Aria and Emily."

"I have to go"

"Go where?" He asks as I begin to shove my things back into my plastic bin liner. "You're not coming back are you?"

"I'm going to get your girlfriend and save my best friend before anyone else gets hurt"

"You can't!"

"You don't know what it's like in that place Mike. Every single day you feel little pieces of you dying as one more person stops caring. I'm not going to let Alison die altogether." I say triumphantly. I pick up my things and make my way to Caleb's car which happens to be parked just around the corner, waiting for me. I climb into the strawberry smelling car and buckle my seatbelt as Caleb pulls into the road.

"So what did you find out?" Caleb breaks the ice as we drive towards my house.

"Mona's been planning this for months, she stored up her blood to make it look like she'd died and that Ali did it."

"And Mike knew all this but didn't tell you?"

"Don't even talk to me about that backstabbing little-"

"Woah chill Mackenzie. We won't talk about him" Caleb says with a laugh.

"Any news on Hanna?" I ask.

"I didn't want to be the one to tell you this-"

"What is it?"

"Hanna's been arrested. And so has your sister, Aria and Emily." He states. I feel myself slipping away from reality. This can't be happening. "Apparently the police found some incriminating evidence in Emily's shed that has all of their finger prints on it."