3. Recruit

Spring-Heeled Jack snarled and bared his teeth as Jarvis, E's family's butler and oldest friend, carried E's laptop into his cell. Jack's hands and feet were shackeld to the hard stone walls of the maximum security prison.

"Jack". The distorted voice sounded eerie in the darkness of his windowless confinement.

"Why am I here?"

"Well, you have killed an awful lot of people"

"Oh", Jack paused, "That still illegal then?"

"I'm afraid so"

"Still, I'm claustrophobic. You can't keep me here!"

"I'm afraid I can. Now listen very careful to what I'm about to say as I will not repeat it", E's voice was flat as he patronised Jack, Jacke stared at E with narrowed eyes.

"Are you sitting comfortably?"                                                                                                                         Jack looked furious as he struggled against his iron restraints

"No"

"Good", E smiled, "Then I'll begin"                                                                                                                Jack snarled.

"First off, I assume you've heard of the mysterious killings that have been happening recently" Jack snorted.

"Witnessed 'em first 'and I 'ave!" Jack cried. His voice lowered as if telling a dramatic story. "There I was, in the streets of London, going about my day. My claws were at the thoat of a young fella'", Jack licked his lips, remebering the experience, "Thought I saw someone by me side when I think about it. Anyway, he drops dead, right in my 'ands, I tell ya'! Not a scratch on 'im! So rude!"

"From your insolent ramblings I take it you're not a fan of Enigma's actions"

"Damn right I'm not! How are innocent li'l people like me supposed to compete with someone with enough power to kill people like that!"

"I'd hardly call you innocent. And I didn't realise it was a  competition"

"Life's a competition" Jack said darkly. E paused for a moment; digesting that statement.

"Then we're going to win" he smiled at Jack.

"You want me to help catch this Enigma fella'?"

"That is correct"

"And then what?"

"I'll let you go..." Jack opened his his mouth and then closed it again, "...however, if you start killing again I will have no choice but to hunt you down. And you know how easily I caught you last time..." E trailed off. Jack bared his teeth.

"FIne", he meant to sound bitter at E's terms but he failed to hide his pleasure at being allowed to hunt down Enigma, "But we'll need some help..."