A Holiday To Remeber

I was sitting on the beach, the sun sparkling across the water and warming up the sand. I was on my annual holiday to Hawaii, with my mom, dad, older sister Jessica and of course my best friend, Ryan and his mom, dad and older sister. We had been best friends since we were babies and gone on holiday with each other’s families to Hawaii ever since. Ryan and I were as close anyone could be and knew absolutely everything about each other. I knew that he was the one who dropped his dad’s car keys down the drain when he was 4; I knew that he tried to find the end of the rainbow when he was 6; I knew that he secretly liked to write poetry; I knew that he had a really bad phobia of heights. He also knew every detail about me. Well every detail apart from one very minute one: I was in love with him and I had been ever since he saved me from drowning in the deep end of the pool when we were 7. He was like my hero. I’m happy to say now that I have learnt how to swim properly and swim nearly every day. I know it’s kind of cliché for me to say that I happen to be in love with my best friend, but it’s the truth. I mean it’s not like I chose to get lost in those lovely blue eyes; to be wrapped in his warm embrace; to crave to hear his voice. Well I suppose that I could have tried to stop myself from all those things, but the truth is that I didn’t want to.

   Well anyway, I was laying on my towel, my eyes closed, and the sun warming up the sand underneath me. I was thinking of him again, when didn’t I? Ever since that day it’s been like a curse, a drug; but in a good way. I actually like the feeling in the pit of my stomach when I’m around him; when he looks at me; when he hugs me. I know that because he is my best friend, which means that these situations happen numerous times a day. At first even I thought that the feelings would stop over time, but no, they just kept on getting stronger. Much stronger. That feeling in the pit of my stomach, the fluttering of my heart, never went away. And I was happy.

   I felt something drip onto my nose before I felt something wrap around me. I instantly opened my eyes to find Ryan’s face right in front of mine. He was smiling down at me, water dripping from his beautiful, dirty blonde hair. He was so close that I could have kissed him, but I learnt to control those urges long ago. No matter how much my heart tugged towards him, I somehow managed to control it. Maybe it’s because I was worried of ruining our lifelong friendship. Even though in my mind I was blushing and my heart was racing a million miles an hour, the outer shell of me portrayed a different story. It was as if I was leading a double life, him being my boyfriend in one and in the other one, the real one, him being my best friend and only my best friend.

   “Hey,” he said, his smooth, gentle voice sending shivers up my spine and throughout my body. “How are you?”

   “Wet,” was the answer I replied with and it was him who had done it. I pushed him off of me and onto the sand beside me. I began to throw sand all over him, making it stick to him, due to his state of wetness. We both giggled as he squirmed, trying to escape; only covering himself in more sand. Finally I returned to my original position on my towel and admired my piece of work. “Hmmm, not so much a castle,” I giggled.

   “Castle...Prince? What’s the difference princess?” he grinned.

   “You...Prince? In your dreams.”

   “What can I say? I like my dreams. How about you?”

   “Not so much, I would rather be dead that seen in a puffy dress.”

   “Really? I think it looks pretty cute on you,” I noticed his cheeks had turned slightly red, had he got sunburn?

   “Haha, very funny, Sandman.”

   “Sure is, Sand-lady.”

   “How exactly am I a sand lady?”

   “Like this.” He ran over to me and threw his arms around me, covering me in sand as well. We both rolled around the sand for a few minutes in fits of giggles. When we stopped, he was looking deep into my eyes, his arms wrapped securely around me, all expressions removed from his face. His eyes searched mine for a few minutes as we lay there in silence, wrapped in each other’s embrace.

   Then he broke the silence, “what would you do if I were to kiss you?”