Chapter 2: Never knew the real you

After what felt like hours of pouring the contents of my stomach into a toilet, I felt a little better. Both Trey and Zach had ran into the bathroom, the girls bathroom may I add, several times and asked if I was ok. I told them it was the stupid off tasting hash brown and that I probably just had a little bit of food poisoning. I walked out of the bathroom and saw Zach and Trey standing by the window looking worried. They didn't notice I was standing there so I cleared my throat.

"Hey are you feeling better now?" Trey asked softly when he turned around.

"a little bit, but I think Zach's god damn hash brown tried to poison me." I said, my voice sounding all croaky from just getting sick.

"Hey, I told you not to eat my hash brown." Zach whined.

"Hey, stop fighting. Look I got to get to class; Zach here's the keys take Kay home and watch after her will you?" Trey says throwing the keys to Zach, who almost drops them.

"Trey, please don't leave me alone with this loser." I whined.

"Kay, I really can't miss another test. If I do I won't pass." He said giving me a hug.

"Fine, I guess I'll just have to survive with this idiot 'til you get home." I said pushing him toward his class.

"Hey, I resent that." Zach said obviously offended by my insults.

"Oh, just shut up and sign me out already." I said walking away towards the office.

"And just so we're clear Zach, no funny business with my sister." Trevor called before he turned the corner.

Zach signed the two of us out, having to explain why my legal guardian or emergency contact couldn't just do it. The office didn't really take into consideration that my parents were always on business trips since they were CEO's of a big time company. Since I didn't have any relatives that still talked to my parents Trevor and Zach were my closest emergency contacts.

When I got in the car I noticed in my rush to steal Zach's stupid hash brown I left my green tea frappuccino sitting in the cup holder. I was about to drink it, but realized it would probably make me even more sick. Well there's a waste of five bucks, I thought to myself. Zach grabbed my drink out of my hand and started slurping. Well that solves that issue I thought dryly.

"Mmm, good thing you couldn't finish this." Ugh stupid cocky loser who rubs everything in my face.

"Just shut up and drive me home." I grumbled.

"Fine you big baby." He said starting the car.

The whole ride to the house was silent, neither of us wanting to talk. When we pulled up to the drive way, I practically ran to my room. I was still a little scared that what happened before I decided to get sick wasn't just in my imagination and Zach was actually going to try and kiss me. A knock on my door brought me out of my crazy thoughts, causing me to jump a little. The door opened and Zack peeked his head in.

"I brought soup." He said holding up a bowl.

I almost laughed at how cute he looked, and how sweet he was acting. I took one look at the soup in the bowl and actually laughed. Inside the bowl was a can of campbells chicken noodle soup. Zach's face turned a bright shade of pink as I continued to laugh.

"Really Zach, you don't know how to make soup? The instructions are on the can." I said as soon as I sobered up from my laughing fit.

"I do too know how to make soup, I just.....okay okay I really don't but you can't blame me I always eat here with you guys." He said kind of sadly.

Zach's parents were worse than my parents. When he was little his parents left him with a nanny, never bothering to spend time with him. As he got older there was no nanny it was just him alone in a big house. Soon enough he started coming over to our house every day, and now he practically lives here. The only day's he's not at our house is when our parents are home.

"I think it's time you learned how to cook." I said taking the bowl and can from him and leading him downstairs to the kitchen.

An hour later and food was everywhere. Instead of teaching Zack how to make classic chicken noodle from a can I decided to show him how to make a veggie soup that my grandma had taught me before she died. That was one of the biggest mistakes of my life, since it only ended up with vegetables everywhere including on our clothes and in our hair. Just the sight of Zach made me laugh so hard I ended up on the floor.

"What's so funny?" he asked confused at my laughter

"You....look....so ....funny. There's...ve..vegetables....in...in...in your hair." I continued laughing.

"What?" He said pulling out his phone to look .

Instantly after seeing himself he joined in my laughter, it was kind of hard not to. Bits of broccoli and carrots were stuck in his  blonde hair, and on his face. If he looked that funny I wonder how I looked.

"Hey how bad do I look?" I asked

"You don't look bad at all, just a little funny." He chuckled.

"Look whose talking veggie man."

"I'm joking, you don't look as bad. You really only have one piece of broccoli in your hair." He said sincerely.

I got up and was about to go look in the mirror when Zach turned me to face him. He reached up and pulled a green piece of vegetable from my hair. He smiled at me as he tucked the hair back to its rightful place.

"You know this is the first time we've actually got along." I said breaking the silence.

"Yeah, it's actually pretty cool." He smiled again.

"I never knew you were this fun. It's pretty interesting at how decent you are when you're not around those sluts at school." I said looking at the floor when I realized I said that last part out loud.

Surprisingly instead of getting all defensive Zach just smiled and laughed. I liked his smile, it was contagious and even if you are in a bad mood just seeing him smile will make you smile. Just being this close to him made my stomach turn, and not in the I'm going to be sick way, but the way you get when you're happy.

"That's because when I'm around the sluts at school I can't be myself, and when I'm with Trevor I have too much fun picking on you." He teased.

"Ha, it's funny, I've known you for half of my life and I never knew the real you." I smiled.

After our little heart to heart I decided we needed to clean the mess up and just make soup from a can since I was actually starting to get hungry. Zach agreed and volunteered to clean while I make the soup, since he was the one who had initiated our little food fight. It was really surprising how sweet he was when he wasn't around anyone, it kind of made me feel special.

Once the kitchen was spotless, and we both had finished eating I decided to take a nap since my stomach was still a little unsettled from the bad hash brown. I was almost asleep when I heard my door open and then feel the bed dip as someone got on. I rolled over to find none other than Zach.

"What are you doing?" I asked.

"Taking a nap." He replied nonchalantly, as if it wasn't weird that he was in my bed.

"Zach, you have your own room." I clarified.

"Yeah, but your bed is so much comfier." He said getting comfortable.

"Ugh, whatever just don't touch me." I said already starting to drift off.

"Oh I will. Sweet dreams." I heard him say before I slipped into dreamland.

"If only you could see how much I like you." I thought I heard him say, but I think I was just dreaming. At least I think it was a dream.

***************************************