Chapter 8 - Sophie

Start from the beginning

"You don't need alcohol to have a good party."

I couldn't help but choke out a laugh. "You try telling that to half of the kids at school."

Justin shrugged. "I'm sure if Zoey were to invite them, more people would show up. Come on, Soph. You could use some company besides me. And Naomi doesn't count," he added.

I bumped his shoulder with mine, half-smiling. I thought for a moment. Unfortunately, Justin was right- I needed company other than him and Naomi. I let out a sigh. "Fine, let's have a party here."

He looked at me, surprise plastered on his face. "Really?"

"Yeah, really." I slid off of the stool and grabbed both of our plates to wash them. "Text Zoey and tell her we can have a party here tonight since we don't have school tomorrow. But you have to help me clean up the house."

He seemed pleased until I added the last part. "Fine."

I started to wash the dishes and he texted Zoey. A few minutes later, he popped his head into the kitchen. "She said she would be here at seven. We've got time to kill."

"Great."

Justin helped me dry the dishes and put them away. After the kitchen was clean, he helped me clean around the house, do the laundry, and clean the patio. It took most of the afternoon, but we finished in time to have some sandwiches for lunch.

"Do you mind if I take a shower?" I asked him, swallowing the last of my turkey sandwich.

"Can I join?" he asked, wiggling his eyebrows.

My face grew hot and I shoved his shoulder. "You most certainly cannot!"

Justin laughed as I walked to my room and closed my door behind me. I quickly took my shower, unable to get rid of the butterflies in my stomach. I thought about what intimacy would be like with Justin. Surprisingly, it didn't seem too weird. I didn't see it happening any time soon, though.

Thirty minutes later, I was dressed and put on some light makeup. Justin showed up at my bathroom door and leaned against the doorway.

"You look good," he commented, staring at me in the mirror.

"Thanks," I said, flashing him a smile. I turned and put my hands on my hips. "I'm not used to parties. Is this okay?"

He gave me a once-over and nodded. I was in my favorite faded jeans and a dark green top. I knew Zoey was a party dress girl, but I hated dresses, so I wasn't sure what was considered party-appropriate.

"You're worrying an awful lot about what you're wearing," Justin said, crossing his arms over his chest.

"I'm a girl," I pointed out. He was right, though. I never paid much attention to what I wore. I was like a fish out of water when it came to parties it seemed.

"Come on, it's almost seven," Justin said. "I went to the store and got some drinks and chips."

"Sounds like a birthday party," I laughed. It was better than alcohol, though.

Seven o'clock rolled around and Zoey showed up with a few other people. Just as I expected, she was in a pink cocktail dress with high heels on. She looked stunning, though. Her hair was half-up and had a slight wave to it, and her eyeshadow was just as glittery as her silver high heel shoes.

"What did Justin do to you to have you agree to have a party here?" she joked, throwing her arm around my shoulder and pulling me in to kiss my cheek. I smirked at her and her smile faltered. Her face went from playful to surprise. "No way."