CHAPTER THIRTY

CHAPTER THIRTY

Nathan and I stared at each other for what seemed forever.

Shockingly enough, he looked the same.

He was wearing the usual black suit with white shirt and black tie, black shoes. His hair was pulled back and his face seemed clean, I could tell he had shaven recently.

The fact that there was no apparent trace of what happened made me realize that enough time had passed.

Enough time had passed for his wounds to heal, for the bruises to fade.

Too much time had passed.

"I-" he hesitated. "-I'm sorry I didn't know you were here. Rachel-" he stopped as we both realized what Rachel had done.

I didn't know whether I loved her or hated her right now.

There was a coldness in his voice that made my chest tighten.

"I'm glad you're okay," I said after a moment.

He frowned. "Are you?"

"Of course I am."

He crossed his arms in his chest, making him look even more intimidating. "You have a funny way of showing it."

He was glaring at me.

He was angry. He had every right to be.

I wasn't ready for this. I wanted the earth to swallow me. I didn't think it was possible to feel even more horrible than I already did.

The knot in my throat was threatening to make me cry any second.

"I'm sorry," I whispered.

"For what?" he asked, looking at me.

I looked away for a moment. There were so many things I was sorry for. There were so many things I wanted to tell him...yet I couldn't seem to be able to speak.

"Everything," I finally said.

I hated the distance between us. He hadn't moved from the door and he had made no indication that he wanted to be close to me. If he weren't blocking the only way out, I would have run out a long time ago but there was no way I could walk out without getting closer to him. He was so close yet so far.

I felt a tear roll down my cheek and I cleaned it away quickly.

And then I let out a sob and began to cry.

I watched Nathan take a step forward but I raised my palm up. "Don't," I cried and then covered my face with my hands.

He stayed where he was while I tried to compose myself.

"I wanted to see you-" I began after I stopped crying. "I did but I couldn't."

"Why?" he asked letting his arms drop to his sides.

I sniffed. "I couldn't bring myself to tell my parents about us-and when I was able to sneak out, you weren't in the hospital anymore. I didn't know how to find you."

He took a step forward. "When I woke up on that hospital bed, the only person I wanted to see was you...but you were gone."

His words were making me feel even worse.

The tears kept rolling down my cheeks and I cleaned them with my hand over and over.

"I'm sorry," I said again. "You must regret saving my life."

He shook his head and his eyes softened. "I knew you and I weren't exclusive, Hannah, I knew that we never made anything official..." he continued after a moment. "...but you are special to me. I would never regret saving you. It is the one thing in my life I have done right."