CHAPTER TWELVE

CHAPTER TWELVE

I dug my toes into the soft sand as I stared at the beach. It was so beautiful. I loved the sound of the waves crashing against each other. The sand and water were cold but they felt good at the same time. I hadn't put on the dress. I just had jeans on with a sweater. I had taken my shoes off when I got here.

The party was a few feet away from where I was. It was in a few houses down from Patrick's condo. The music was too loud to even make out the words and the house was super crowded. There were people drinking and kissing and doing other things that made me look away when I realized what they were doing. I hadn't even gone in the house and thank god Patrick was too busy with girls to make me go inside with him.

I left Nathan sleeping in my bed. I didn't have the heart to wake him up. I needed him to sleep. He deserved it. Besides, I wasn't that far from the condo and it was too dark for people to even notice me. Except for some guy, Cesar, who had followed me out to the beach.

He was tall with a slim body and was wearing shorts with a shirt and sweater. He had short, brown hair and brown eyes. He seemed nice but I wished he would leave me alone. I just wanted to enjoy the beach.

"You're not a party girl, are you?" Cesar said as he took a sip of the beer in his hand.

"Not really." I said not even looking at him, hoping he would get the message and leave me alone.

"The beach is something, huh?" he asked nodding towards it.

"Yes, it's beautiful." I murmured.

He turned to look at me. "Not as beautiful as you."

I smiled at him. "Thank you."

He looked down at my lips and I took a step back. "Cesar-" his mouth was suddenly on my lips and I put my hands on his chest and tried to push him away. "Cesar-stop!" I yelled pushing him. He took a step back. "What/ I thought you wanted to have some fun?" he asked with a smirk. His breath reeked of beer.

I glared at him. "No, I don't."

He suddenly reached for me and put his arm around my shoulders.

"Let me go!" I protested but he ignored me. The people around us were either too drunk or simply didn't care to help me.

"Let her go!" I heard Nathan yell behind me and then he pushed Cesar off, making him fly out to the sand.

Nathan took a step forward but I grabbed his arm.

"That's enough." I looked up at him. "Thank you."

Nathan's glare is turned to me. "You should have woken me up." He told me in disapproval. His breath smelled like mint and I knew he had brushed his teeth. He must have barely woken up.

"I didn't want to wake you. You needed sleep."

"I need to protect you." He insisted.

I rolled my eyes at him. "Thank you but it was just some stupid drunk guy, Nathan."

His green eyes softened. "You're not allowed to kiss anyone but me when you're drunk, ok."

The butterflies in my stomach made me smile at him. I hated that I loved the feeling. I hated that I loved what he said to me. "Yes, sir." I said then turned around and began to walk on the edge of the beach, away from the stupid party.

"Did you sleep ok?" I asked him as we walked.

"I did." He frowned. "Did you try to seduce me in my sleep?"

I laughed. "What? No."

"If you want to seduce me, I'd prefer it if you did it while I'm wide awake." He winked at me.

"You know you're not supposed to flirt with me right?"

He looked at me. "I think we broke that rule the moment you kissed me."

I smiled. "So it's my fault now."

He shrugged. "You did do it..."

"Fine but don't blame me when they fire you because of me."

"That depends..."

I looked up at him. "On what?"

He grinned at me. "On how far you are going to let me go."

I shook my head with a smile. "Why are you always flirting with me?"

"It happens to be my favorite part of the day." He teased.

"Why do you do it?"

He shrugged. "It's just flirting Hannah, I'm not asking you to marry me." He said softly then raised his eyebrow. "Unless you want me to stop?"

I rolled my eyes at him. "I don't." I said feeling a little embarrassed.

He smiled. "You know, you think you have the worst luck when it comes to relationships, you haven't stopped to think about that maybe you aren't the problem."

"It wasn't just one heartbreak, it was a few." I reminded him. I shrugged. "I don't believe that every guy is a jerk, I just no longer trust my judgement." I turned to look at him. "Have you ever had girlfriends?"

"I have."

"And?"

He shrugged. "I guess you can say I didn't have the best judgement either." He said smiling at me.

I laughed. "Are you making fun of me?"

"I'm not." He smiled. "We've all had bad relationships, Hannah, that doesn't mean that it was a lack of judgment. It means it wasn't meant to be, that's it. Weren't you the one who said you believed we all are where we are supposed to be?" he shrugged. "You need to stop putting down yourself so much and just live."

I didn't know what to think. Nathan was something else. And he was different when we were alone. I thought back to earlier...

I looked away. "You know, earlier you told me to stay away from Patrick."

"Yes." He said slowly looking at his feet as we walked.

"What makes you think you can tell me what to do?"

"I didn't."

"Yes you did."

"I told you I didn't stand it when he touched you." He said looking straight ahead.

"Right."

"I was just letting you know in case..."

I looked at him. "In case?"

He met my gaze. "In case I broke his jaw."

"Why would you do that?"

We had stopped walking by then and Nathan reached out and wrapped his arm around my waist, pulling me closer to him.

"I can't stand it when someone else touches you." He tells me. "I want it to be just me."

I looked down at his chest, sheepishly.

He reached down and pulled my chin up so I was forced to look at him. "You are so beautiful, Hannah," he whispered looking into my eyes. "You don't know how beautiful you are to me." His eyes slowly began to drift down my nose, and then down my lips. It was then when he whispered,

"I want to kiss you..."